SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
naturenut_ohio

Maybe a topic of conversation

naturenut_ohio
14 years ago

Hello all, first I want to say I am a first year vegetable grower however I have many flowerbeds so I do know some when it comes to gardening. Here is my question, do you believe you can possibly change the conditions a vegetable may need to flourish if you start it from seed instead of buying from a store or nursery. Let me try to explain what I am asking. I started all 80+ pepper plants this winter in our basement, besides the first week, they were never on a heat mat and never in temperature conditions above 65 degrees. Once the weather broke I started putting them outside, some days the temps were not much above the upper 60's, they came in nightly till the risk of frost was gone. I planted them in the garden the 3rd week of May and pinched off all the blooms that had formed. I did this for 2 weeks till the plants became established. We picked our first peppers the 3rd week of June and have had many since then. Our temperatures have not been hot except for the last 2 weeks. I have given away some of these plants and the same thing has happened with them, fruit ready by the end of June, however their other peppers (purchased) look like minatures just sitting there. I have read so much that both peppers and tomatoes must have lots of heat, this has certainly not been the case here. We are growing Bells, which we have picked at least a half dozen already, still green but quite large, assortment of sweet peppers, and jalapenos. I also started our tomato plants in an unheated hoophouse with very large fluctuating temps and they are all flourishing. Anyone have any thoughts on this??

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!