SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tango88_gw

To Gardener Boy & All...A Cure for Curing...

tango88
19 years ago

GB...sounds like you are pretty much "going by the book" as far as curing proceedures. Probably farther than most people. Below is a technique I call "Hydration for Dummies" (and Lazy Guys like me...) It achieves proper hydration during cure that seems to get the job done even here in semi-tropical Houston, Texas where temps in the 100's are common all summer. Check out one of the Big Box stores (Lowes, HD, Wal-Mart, etc.) for a device that attaches to a garden hose commonly referred to as "An Arizona Mister" or something like it. It's just a length flexible tubing with a series of superfine misting nozzles every foot ot two. They were originally designed for use in the desert southwest to cool patios and such. In most areas, when installed at 8 ft. off the ground, the mist is so fine you can walk through it and not even feel wet. However...if you create a "Curing Area" and install them a little lower...I've discovered they can provide constant hydration for curing cement products. And the actual water usage is so low I can leave it on around the clock which keeps everything under it cool and moist without having to remember to go back and hose them down. I routinely work in "neat" Portland cement (nothing but Portland & water, no sand or aggregate) which requires near perfect hydration control or it cracks all to pieces. This system has saved my neck, because when I'm working on multiple pieces simultaneously in 110 degree heat, even a few minutes without the right level of moisture can cause severe cracking and the loss of many hours of work. This has been a lifesaver and I wanted to pass it on to the whole group. Right now, I just jury-rig it as needed, however, I plan to build it permanently into a new work area I am hoping to complete this summer. Check it out...it provides a cheap and brainless way to keep your work cool and moist around the clock. It has been a huge help to me...I hope it helps some of you.

Comments (32)