SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rjinga

The AUDACITY

14 years ago

I was out yesterday afternoon, taking a look at things, it was pretty hot and I had picked a few okra, a few turning maters, and then went to take a peek at the squash, my zuchinni has been very very slow going, it's a big pretty plant, but so far I've only harvested 2 zukes.

Anyhoo...I was doing a cursory leaf lifting in search of any squash bugs etc. When low and behold I saw THEM, 2 of THEM, one on the zuchinni right in front of me and then I saw another buzzing around, it lit on another squash plant.

I was ungloved at that moment or I would have been able to reach out and squish the sucker, I thought about how I could do it, maybe carefully trap it between the leaf it was sitting on? I just didnt know if it would bite or sting me? ...so I carefully backed out of my garden, keeping my eye set on where HE/SHE was and making sure if he moved, that I'd see where he/she went. I backed up towards my garden shed where I knew I had a can of bug spray, grabbed it and quickly and carefully came back to the squash where I saw HER?

I adjusted my spray nozzel and gave it a blast and then another and another, she flew off and landed again and I sprayed again. Didn't seem to take her down immediately and I didn't actually see it die, but I have hopes that the spray did what it was supposed to and fried that sucker.

Then I spotted the other one, and it got sprayed too and it flew away from the garden and landed in some weeds nearby, I grabbed my scissors and went in pursuit...there it was, tucked low and tight into the thick weeds, I snipped at it and missed and again, and again..I think I knicked a wing, but missed cutting it in half. and I watched as it flew far far away from the garden.

Here is what I saw...the audacity to try to reproduce on MY SQUASH, right under my nose!!!!!

YES IT'S THE DEVILS SPAWN ALRIGHT, THE DREADED SVB MOTH.

{{gwi:96229}}

Comments (11)