SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
myback_garden

How's Everyone??

myback_garden
18 years ago

Hope all is well with the folks here.

It's been awhile since I've been able to spend any time on this forum...I've been lurking though and trying to keep up with the reading..but just for short spurts at a time.

I've been waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to busy with life..but am forcing myself to take things slower..cus I miss all the reading and looking at the pics here as well I need to get my hands dirty again..got so many projects I'd like to start on for the spring.

One thing I wanted to ask was Does anyone remember Who it was that did the awesome patio with the steps and paths in tufa bricks blocks etc and as well the leaf pathways? and the 120ft retaining wall?

I had saved the pictures of their work and now I cannot find them anywhere..They were done so well that I just wanted to show a friend who has built a new home and has tons of space, what could be done with the tufa to enhance his gardens.

If anyone can remember who did those great projects I'd love to show him the pictures with permission

Thanks so much Deb

Comments (19)

• davidmcdn
    18 years ago

The 120 foot retaining wall was extremely dangerous and almost certainly illegal.
    The person who built it moved but depending on soil conditions and uphill water conditions that wall could result in a substantial landslide with the present landowner caught holding the bag.

• myback_garden
    Original Author
    18 years ago

David: Thanks for responding..I just want to show him the pictures..of the possibilities that can be done with tufa. If he ever decided to build such a wall I'm sure he'd take all the precautions he needed...as he just built himself a home worth about $400,000 and I may be low on that estimate..lol (IT'S AWESOME) with all the newest and latest in the home building industry.He hasn't started his gardens on the property (that includes woodlands, running creek and a huge pond,hills valleys and all sorts of beautiful natural pieces of nature) I wanted to show him the pics because I remember thinking when I saw them how naturally they'd fit into spaces on his property. I did save the pics but for the life of me I can't find where I saved them. The folks that did them did such a superb job and if they didn't mind sharing them...I know he would appreciate having a look. Thanks Deb

• Related Discussions

Hows everyone doing? I am so looking forward

Q

Comments (6)
    I wonder if the reason grandmas had such luck with houseplants is they didn't have central heating and most had sun porches. I'd really like a sun porch! For your peace lily, try putting it in the bathroom or right next to the kitchen sink so it gets a lot of humidity. It also needs a lot of light, granted, it'll live in little, it prefers a lot. You could also try a pebble tray. I used to grow mine on a pebble tray on top of my fish tank light. I also rooted a lot of hard to root plants up there. Maybe a heat mat with the tray on top of it would work, hmmm I need to go out and get a heat mat.
    ...See More

How's everyone holding up - Issac

Q

Comments (26)
    I spent hours moving plants, windchimes, orchids, garden ornaments, orchids, lanai furniture, orchids, securing the chickens oh and moving orchids. I am happy to say I was way over prepaired, our weather has been mild with some nice strong wind gusts and little rain. The worst part for me was a neighbor had some of my leaves blow into her yard and panicked. She got on her ladder and leaned over and cut 2 bananas as far back as she could reach then threw the cuttings in my yard, right neighborly dont you think. Sorry about your sopadilla, its always hard to lose a loved plant or tree. Also sorry to hear of damage in Vero but glad everyone is ok.
    ...See More

How's Everyone in the Joplin Area?

Q

Comments (6)
    Say thing I kept hearing. Wind, hail etc. I moved everything I could and put stepping stones on top of everything else. The only thing I found sone was some of the loose branches that were stuck up in the trees from the last storm came down. All small stuff. So that was good. I had a lot of rain and wind and lighting. But not near the wind they were calling for. I think I was in that little area they were talking about that was starting to break up as it was headed south. Bad to the east and west of me . I guess this must make it official that the spring storms have arrived. Now they need to go away. I was looking out when it was raining so hard and water was running over the 4" lip on one of my raised beds, since it was coming down so fast. Hope all is safe today. Bless you Helen. Sunny you are south west of me. Bonnie
    ...See More

How's Everyone Doing?

Q

Comments (7)
    I have the police scanner on, and I'm listening to incessant reports of downed trees. Nothing on the property, at least not that I can see, but most of the sunflowers are flattened. Poor sunflowers......they had a bad year all around. The first two plantings got eaten. Power blinked during the night and again this morning, but so far so good. Still lots of rain and wind.
    ...See More
  • butterflybush
    18 years ago

When you log into this forum there is a paragraph that says please check the FAQ or do a search... I searched for 120 foot retaining wall, came up with this....

Here is a link that might be useful: 120 foot

• myback_garden
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for doing that butterflybush. I checked artsymama's page and the link does not work.... as well there is no e mail.Does anyone know if Artsymama is still on this forum? Thanks for trying.Deb

I'm still trying to locate who did the leaf path..if I remember correctly it was through some woodsy area
    and who did the steps and patio made with tufa or cement blocks or bricks..I believe the patio was an on going process..there was a small wall as well

• davidmcdn
    18 years ago

This one

Here is a link that might be useful: leaf path

• brighteyes
    18 years ago

The tufa retaining wall was an exsisting block retaining wall that was covered in tufa. Does adding tufa to an exsisting block or concrete structure weakin it.

Carey

• airfun
    18 years ago

Here's a link to the Yahoo album of the 120 ft wall, there is a link on that page to send a message.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tufa covered wall

• DebZone8
    18 years ago

Hi Deb,

I've been on hiatus too but am looking forward to Spring and new projects (plus completion of some old ones).

I made the patio, stairs and low block wall. The pavers were purchased but the blocks are tufa. Thanks for your compliment! After two years, my little secret conversation/contemplation niche continues to be a delight. I've made some additions--I'll post new pictures when the weather gets better.

Deb

• davidmcdn
    18 years ago

Hi Carey
    The cinder block wall was not solid, there were large gaps between the bricks. Covering it can prevent proper drainage and hold back tons of water in the soil.
    The rules might be different in that area but where I live it would have required a permit and an engineer's approval.

• brighteyes
    18 years ago

Thank you for the clarification. What i read made it sound like it was an exsisting retaining wall. So is it safe to say if a retaining wall is up to code and properly installed than it is ok to cover with a coat of tufa?

Carey

• myback_garden
    Original Author
    18 years ago

debzone8:
    It makes a lovely conversation/contemplation spot. I can visulize just whiling away the hours on it for sure. You did an awesome job on it and I am looking forward to your pics of the new additions to your secret niche.
    Can I copy some of them to show my friend? Thanks Deb

David : Thanks for the link to the path..I have sent an e-mail to davissue to see if I can copy a pic.

Carey: Glad to see David answered your question. I just remember seeing the finished wall and have no idea how it was done.

Chris : Thanks for the link..have sent an e-mail off to ask if I can copy a photo.

• davissue_zone9
    18 years ago

I've been considering pulling the pics of my leaf walk due to the new policy, but since the pics were posted in the Sacramento Bee newspaper last year, it seems a bit like closing the barn door after the horse got out! I've also run across my pictures on other websites, one of which contained a rant about people stealing stuff off of someone elses website!? Oh well, be my guest. Sue

• lazydaisy
    18 years ago

Sue, you have the right to email those websites and tell them that someone's violating your copyright. Most sites actually do have a moral policy in place and will take it off if you ask them. I'm assuming they "placed" the picture inside the forum instead of just linking to it?

I wonder this new policy includes previous posted "grandfather" pictures or ones posted "after" the date?

Deb, I looked at your photo album again the other evening and again enjoyed it so much. I remember when you started with that block idea and you've done so much work! I know there has been a comment made on the stability but as wide as those are and considering you don't have them at that high of a level, I think the only person getting hit on the head by one of those would have to be skunk drunk and crawling on the ground to have it fall over on them--but I bet that's possible for some now that I think of it! LOL I've used those precast bricks that you buy at HD and Lowe's and they're not all that different from yours and they are pretty stable.

I can't remember if I ever read whether that woman with the 120 foot long wall didn't have some type of support system behind it. I know I've seen someone else's project of a fairly high cinder block structure wall being textured on the outside without much more support system behind it, no drainage holes and nothing was dwelled on there, so why is the 120 foot wall still one of the bones to be picked to death--move on. Anybody can call their county and city offices for regulations and "suggestions" which concern their area of the country and could probably talk to an actual engineer for reliable advice.

• davidmcdn
    18 years ago

Talking to these two individuals listed below in my area costs roughly $1200 to start with no promises that a retaining wall will even be realistic.

Unmapped soils occur where the soils have not been previously identified on soil maps. If your property falls within one of these unmapped areas, you must hire a soil scientist to identify the soil or you must design the foundation for a worst case soil situation. A brochure entitled Residential Construction in Unmapped Soils Areas is available for further assistance.
    Problem soils are soil types which may have a high water table, expansive clays, or other behavioral problems. If your property contains a problem soil, you may need to hire a registered design professional to design the foundation system.

• myback_garden
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sue: Thanks..you did a great job on it and it shows others what can be done with the leaves. I have started one but it is not complete yet. Thanks so much..Deb

laisydaisy: I love looking at Debzone's album as well.

I also got a good laugh thinking about your commment on the "some" being scunk drunk and crawling on the ground....(could have been myself or anyone of our friends at least once in our lives...hahaaha)

I have those pre-cast bricks as well about 30 feet long and 2-1/2 feet high all down the side of our driveway. They are very stable and have been there for some time now.
    I don't remember either how that 120 footer was made ..just that I saw it and thought hmmm looks good to me. :) I have just been gathering ideas for a friend ..he has a huge amount of land with dips and valleys and water and woods and just nice rolls all over it and was thinking he might get some ideas from looking at all the great tufa art that comes off this forum..Thanks Deb

• DebZone8
    18 years ago

ROFL!!! Skunks come through every now and then but I don't know if they drink--I wish the wall WOULD fall on the !@#$ raccoon who's been eating my goldfish and tadpoles. I think I must have been the drunk one when I decided that making all those blocks would be a good idea. It's the project that never ends--I keep extending it.

Deb, feel free to share the pictures with your friends. That's why I post them.

Last year at a garden show I saw tumbled stone blocks used for a low wall and edging in a display garden that looked very similar to mine. I was extremely pleased to compare the price and also that a real designer would use the same look.

I did pour a footing for the wall and slant it inward as well as mortar the blocks. Some things I've added are a large mirror left over remodeling a bathroom to the back of the arbor and a row of thuja (arborvitae) to the perimeter to give it more enclosure. I also found a cool statue of an Asian lady at an estate sale (Quan Yin?) for a focal point.

Thanks Deb and lazydazey. I wish you could join me for a glass of wine and we could watch for skunks!

Deb

• lazydaisy
    18 years ago

OK, so the "skunk drunk" aka as "drunk as a skunk" might be Southern slang thing. I have no reference in my life on how this saying ever came to be except that it rhymes and I like using it! :)

LOL, My name is Deb and this is my other sister Deb (remember the Daryl's on the that Bob Newhart show?), never thought of a "real" skunk being dumb enough as the two-legged kind to get that drunk but that might be a sight! So if the fallen drunk skunk sprayed, would he spray himself? I wonder if raccoons and skunks would actually drink beer if you put it out for them? hmmm, that's an organic solution for grubworms, isn't it? Naw, Deb you'd become the new hangout for free beer and a fish fry! :) ...or would you serve saki with sushi? And that Asian statue would be a nice touch for that type of restaurant!

I've had someone tell me that their boss got so drunk one time that he fell off the curb and hurt himself...this was, of course, while "laying down" on the sidewalk. :) So anything is possible when you build anything that is higher than 3 inches! LOL. Even without the wine, I can read the forum if I want to see a stinker or two! :) But thanks for the offer!

I'd love to see your picture when you get your Asian lady set up.

• myback_garden
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Debzone: "I think I must have been the drunk one when I decided that making all those blocks would be a good idea. It's the project that never ends--I keep extending it."

Your idea to make the blocks is one of the best drunken ideas I've ever come across.I'll send ya some wine so you can keep coming up with ideas and we'll all just copy them...ROFL
    We are under a pile of snow so when that melts I'll take a pic...I only have a few of the leaves made for the path and in the ground..about 7 leaves and I have started a little wall using the blue swiffer plastic containers(the wet ones) to make the bricks. I've sent the call out to my girlfriends for swiffer containers but most of them have a cleaning service and just looked at me like I was nuts..hahaha (what's a swiffer?)
    I'd love to see a updated pic of your ongoing project..It sounds great.
    I'll be thinking of you when spring gets here and I'm enjoying a glass of wine on the back deck and the scunks come out..:)

Laisydaisy: To funny the other brother Daryl. One of my best friends name is Deb as well and that it exactly what happens when we are out and I introduce myself and then she does.There are a few people in town who really believe we are sisters because we do look somewhat alike. You can see the look on their faces when they hear both our names are Deb..LMAO

"Naw, Deb you'd become the new hangout for free beer and a fish fry! :) ..." hmmmmmmm Beer and a Fish Fry...Count me in Deb :)

Falling off the curb seems to be a popular thing to do..It happened to one of my girlfriends oldest sons..Scunk drunk downtown, fell off the sidewalk and broke his ankle..I was over at her house that evening helping prepare for her husbands 50th when she got the call...lol

• lazydaisy
    18 years ago

MBDeb, I think you'd have to settle for the goldfish/tadpole platter and nudge over a skunk and a raccoon to enjoy Debzone8's fish fry/sushi bar, plus you'd have to dodge that death-defying wall she has (hehe). Seems like those furry guys would take offense to sharing.