SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glenn_russell_gw

Apple tree pruning question - vertical shoot

glenn_russell
16 years ago

I have a Granny Smith tree which I got from my local nursery about 3 years ago. ItÂs given me about 10-15 apples for the last 2 years and itÂs is doing really well. I spray it regularly with Bonide fruit tree spray to prevent Cedar Apple Rust and Apple Scab, etc. A bit of dormant oil in the late winter, and possibly some insecticidal soap for aphids. WeÂre in zone 6b in Rhode Island. I also do my best to meticulously prune and train branches.

This question would be a lot easier if I could remember the termÂ

Anyway, last year, I noticed a quick growing shoot coming off one of its lateral branches. I seem to remember that these types of shoots have a name, and they are usually undesirable, unproductive, and should be pruned. (Is it "water shoot"?) But, I have a bit of a bare spot in back of the tree, and it could easily be trained with gardening twine (like I do often) to fill that spot. My question is this If a meticulous person has too much time on their hands, could this shoot be trained to be a nice branch like any other branch? Should this be done? Or should I just lop it off? Thanks in advance,

-Glenn

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting