SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Callisia fragrans, love this weird-o!

Some of you may remember when I was trying to figure out the name of this plant from this discussion. Although my honey says all plants are named Steve, he has admitted this one probably should be called Medusa.

This plant is just so odd-looking and grows so strangely and fast in unusual ways, I just love it! The purple "eyes" at the end of the tips are visible in this pic:

{{gwi:76899}}

The 2 Dracaena marginata tops I stuck in the pot seem happy, too.

Whole plant:

{{gwi:76900}}

When the flower stalk started growing a few months ago, they was shooting up about 1/2" per day. Unfortunately the flowers aren't open in this pic, but you can see there are a ton of buds. The flowers open for a day every few days since around Christmas and they SMELL SO GOOD! OMG!

{{gwi:76901}}

The person who gave it to me says she's had it for many years and has never had any blooms. This punk feels lucky and blessed.

Thanks again to y'all for helping me ID it. I just love it. Until I was given some cuttings of this plant earlier last year, I'd never seen this plant. Are these uncommon or have I just managed to not notice them before? Something this easy to propagate and keep seems like it would be as ubiquitous as spider plants or pothos. This plant is about 3x as big as it was 6 months ago. A little part of me is glad it's back outside, since I had started to feel a twinge of fear that this plant might be planning some kind of takeover of this house or inhabitants. It certainly seems capable.

I still don't really understand this plant, though. Is it a vine? Are the flowering stalks the only part that I can expect to be upright? The other parts all hang down from the pot. Are these usually hanging or in regular pots? How long will the dangling parts get?

(Don't chide me, the bottom has holes. I had to put it back on for stability. This plant is "meaty" and heavy, top-heavy when dry!)

Comments (46)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting