SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abqlyle

Newbie with unmolding troubles

abqlyle
14 years ago

A few weeks ago, I tried my first hypertufa project with excitement, since it sounded so easy. Unfortunately, the project ended in failure because I couldn't get them to unmold successfully. This week, I decided to try again after watching Martha Stewart demonstrate hypertufa on her show, hoping maybe watching someone else would help me. Unfortunately, I've had similar trouble unmolding, unable to get my pot out of the mold without breaking it.

In both cases, I used Portland cement (Quickcrete brand), perlite and sphagnum pete moss (both Miracle Gro).

In the first attempt here's a breakdown of what I did:

- hypertufa recipe: 1:1:1 mix

- molds: two plastic chip bowls, with a small piece of PVC for the drainage; for one I put the hypertufa mix on the inside for the other, I put it on the outside

- release agent: I used some old canola oil and rubbed it all over with a paper towel

- curing: left in a plastic bag in an unheated garage (which doesn't hit freezing, based on the bowls of water I've left around) with a daily misting for three days before unmolding was attempted

My second attempt was:

- hypertufa recipe: 2 parts cement, 3 parts perlite and pete moss

- mold: an old nursery pot, though not a tapered one

- release agent: this time, I used a canola oil spray following what Martha did on her show

- curing: after two days inside a closet in a colder part of the house (though not as cold as the garage) and with a misting in between, I tried to unmold

One thing I'm not clear on is how much effort I should use in unmolding. On TV, the pots just popped out easily but I realize they could have unmolded it in advance to avoid any awkwardness.

I've done a few searches (though it turns out unmolding comes up in most hypertufa discussions) and it doesn't sound like other newbies have had a similar problem, so I'm guessing I'm making a basic mistake somewhere. I'm also in the middle of making stepping stones with quick-set concrete and I'm not having any trouble there. The texture also doesn't look right, it's much rougher (before brushing) than most of the pictures I've seen.

Can anyone suggest what I should be doing differently?

Comments (10)