SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jardinerowa

do I say goodbye to the eggplant seedlings?

jardinerowa
13 years ago

Hello all,

Ok so I recently moved to the hottest place on Earth *Imperial Valley* and started eggplant seeds outside in jiffys in June. (I know, crazy). They sprouted and all got true leaves, i transplanted them to a mostly shady spot..(full sun will kill them right now in the desert). Then they got a whitefly infection when each had like two or three pairs of true leaves. I tried garlic, insecticidal soap and aluminum foil under the plants (did I fry them)

Fast forward, they are still alive but suffering. The bottom leaves turn yellow and have blotches and while there are no more whiteflies, I can't tell if other pests are there but I don't think so. I am concerned maybe I've kept the container TOO wet. I know they like water when actively growing but I guess I could be drowning them too?

I know it was a horrible time to start veggie seedlings in the desert but I also know they love heat AND they seemed to take off as seedlings so I actually thought I had a chance. The new leaves coming off the plants are green but growing slowly.

Plus I'm also worried that insecticidal soap damages them. I don't think so but they always say to be careful using it on seedlings. What else can be use on seedlings? Thanks all!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH