SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
john_kemnitz

Ijust grafted my niegbors big wild apple tree

johnnysapples
11 years ago

This tree had some hollow rotten areas on the two biger branches. We decided to cut them right off and graft onto the be stumps. The diameter is big, but he was all for it so I did it. We put fuji, gala, yelow diliciuos, and macintash on this tree. He is going to order some northern spy, so I will be ading it too. I noticed my scions are a bit moldy. I think I will go down there with some 1-10 bleach water solution and a soft brush and give them a lite brushing. Hopefully they will grow out. I don't think they will grow over the big stump cuts but it's better than a big rotten area. We did this in the silver bud stage. The bark sliped nice, and with it being big it has a great hold of the scion wood. I don't think I need to even tape it. It just started raining as I was puting on the sealent. I used basement sealer tar. I left the scions long because I figure there will be some good push on them. I will have lots to prune back if they all grow out. I just read that you need on scion for every inch of stock. I didn't want that many on there though. I am waiting for green leaf to graft mine. I have eight wild apple trees to change over. I can't wait.

Comments (29)