SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rnewste

The EarthTainer 'Farm' Update - July 4 (pics)

rnewste
13 years ago

July is kicking into high gear with temps in the low 90s the past few days. The Sun shade over the main bed is working fine, with most all the plants now being topped at 72 inches.

{{gwi:44544}}

From left to right: Druzba, Purple Haze F4, JC Special C-Tex, and Japanese Black Trifele

{{gwi:44546}}

Now harvesting: JBT, Early Girl, Bloody Butcher, Danko, and German Red Strawberry. Goose Creek is blushing:

{{gwi:44548}}

Not without issues however, as my Brandywine Cowlicks are developing several bronze stems, and one Goose Creek plant is wilting:

{{gwi:44550}}

The mistake I made was waiting until June 20 to apply Serenade, and Daconil. Next year on May 1, I am going to do a regimen of: Excel LG, Serenade, Actinovate, and Daconil on a rotating basis every Saturday morning. If I don't develop major amounts of infection, I will drop the Daconil from the spraying rotation cycle before fruit develops.

My real standout 'Tainer houses a pair of Big Beef plants. This 'Tainer is located in the worst spot of the yard, alongside the Hot Tub, and in addition, was Number 31 planted, a full month behind the other tomatoes put in beginning March 17. Like a green forest inside, and loaded with tomatoes that are hard to spot:

{{gwi:44552}}

I've had to add second cages to the Bell Peppers as they are now over the top of the first cage:

{{gwi:44554}}

Another lession I've learned is that even with the large size of the EarthTainers, 6 Pepper plants makes it too crowded, and next Season, I will back it down to 4 plants each:

{{gwi:44556}}

The first "crop" of sweetcorn has matured and is ready for picking today:

{{gwi:44558}}

Most stalks have developed 2 ears this year, where last Season, only a few doubled up:

{{gwi:44560}}

And the hand pollination assist seems to have paid off:

{{gwi:44562}}

One of the "fringe" benefits of the plants growing tall now is that I can scamper in to, and out of the Hot Tub sans-bathing suit, without hearing the neighborhood-lady "shrieking" anymore!!!

{{gwi:1263}}

Raybo

Comments (5)