SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dalejamin

Garden Pest Question

dalejamin
11 years ago

This is my first attempt at a garden. I live in a fairly populated area, and my yard is bordered by woods. I know we have rabbits and groundhogs in the area. Not sure about raccoons or chipmunks. I've tried a variety of homemade sprays (like pepper, etc) to repel the critters with little success. Same goes for bloodmeal.

I have a solar powered electric fence, with two strands of wire running around the garden at heights of 3" and 9.5". It doesn't pack as much bite as I'd like, but it works.

The fence has been more effective. I've seen the groundhog sniffing around, but haven't caught him(or anything else) inside the garden. There are no visible signs (that I can see) of entry or exit. However, something has started getting in and is eating my squash and cukes up, especially the leaves. I planted some new squash plants (3" tall) in a potato box that stands 17" high. The dirt is 10" high. Every plant I put in was eaten down to the ground. First stupid question. Does this sounds more like a groundhog, raccoon, chipmunk or rabbit?

Any suggestions? I can either:

1) run a wire in between the two existing strands, say at 5" or 6",

2) run a wire above the existing strands at 12+", or

3) try a live trap.

The problem with the trap is that I'm not 100% sure what's eating the vines up, so I don't know what size trap to get.

Comments (5)