SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

row spacing for vegetables....

I am debating making a small plot size in my backyard

to grow some vegetables. It would be roughly 6' x 5' with the dimensions of it; this is about 30 square feet, as a guesstimate.

Now I have some seed packets and they specify how far apart you're supposed to space each plant with the vegetable. Unfortunately with some of these vegetables the seed packet fails to specify what the row spacing is.

The vegetable seed packets I have that specify the plant spacing but there is no information with the recommended

row spacing are as follows:

Carrot, little finger; seed packet says "ideal variety for

container gardening" so I am assuming this means you can put the rows closer together than you typically would compared to a variety of carrot that isn't suitable and/or recomended for container gardening.

Cabbage, Early Jersey Wakefield; again the seed packet specifies the plant spacing but there is no information that specifies the row spacing. This variety of cabbage also says in the description on the seed packet that

"The Early Jersey is compact and robust, ideal for small gardens or containers". I am assuming that once again given that the seed packet specifies it's ideal for container gardening, that you could space the rows closer together than you normally would for a variety of cabbage that isn't suitable and/or recommended for container gardening.

Bean, Top Crop bush (this is a bush variety of green bean).

I am going to assume again that because this is a bush variety as oppposed to a pole bean, that you can

space the rows closer together compared to a pole bean variety of green bean. I say this because it's a bush

variety of green bean, it's growth pattern is more compact

than that of a pole green bean.

Essentially what I need is a guideline of what the row spacing should be for each type of the vegetable I listed.

I can't space them apart with rows if I don't have any recommended guidelines with how far apart to space the rows

for each vegetable described above. Unfortunately the seed packet is supposed to tell you this information with how far apart to space the rows. However this information, to my knowledge is nowhere to be found

on the seed packet.

I could use recommendations and help regarding this.

Comments (5)