SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caro123_gw

WOW-snow in the South!!

carola_gw(Z3NH)
10 years ago

Is this winter weird or what so far?-what happened to global warming? I'm just thinking these guys probably aren't
used to this crap. Would you have snow tires if you lived in the South?
What are you guys doing to protect your houseplants or
OmG the ones you have outside?

Comments (36)

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    Not too much ,had a record high of 84 today. Low has been 39 but still have Feb . I feel for you guys though. Tough winter for sure!! gary

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Well school is already cancelled for tomorrow all around this area. If folks didn't bring plants in when it was 14 degrees, they're probably a non-issue by now, already dead. I gave away my snow shovels when I moved here from OH but just finished raking the yard just in case there's some of the white stuff. I want to be able to make a snowman that's not full of leaves.

The radio is already telling people to not drive around unless it's an emergency. It's 55 degrees at the moment, 20 degrees above tomorrow's predicted high. I also checked nearby parking lots for holes, picked out a good spot to do some donuts if there's ice!

I don't think it'll be anything like what happened in March of '93 (I happened to get stuck in Atlanta for 3 days from that) but fine if it is, in the comfort of my own home instead of a hotel room. I'm really excited. If it's going to be cold, there should be snow, bring it on!

I didn't have snow tires in OH, and definitely not here, just all-season.

• Related Discussions

State of Emergency...Snow...snow...snow!

Q

Comments (22)
    Oh, Ms. Luna, I'm so glad I am not the only one to talk to their car. I have named mine Miss Margaret, but call her Miss Maggie when she's in a spunky mood (in short galloping down the road rather than ambling and yes, I pat mine on the dash board when we make it through a tough spot or keep encouraging her with "You can make it, come on girl." I've always said that machines truly have minds of their own with a little mischief thrown in for good measure. Glad you made it home safe and sound. Please give "Bess" an ATTA GIRL for me. Kirk, hope you guys are beginning to thaw out up in the northwest. Loved the plate flowers on the other posting. When my 87 year old Dad walked by and saw your pictures he was impressed with what you had done. Think Spring!! It will be here soon (despite the groundhog prediction). Toodles, Ms. Faith
    ...See More

Snow in the deep south tip of Texas...my tractor photo

Q

Comments (1)
    That must be a strange feeling one minute its snow, next it`s in the 80`s I take the 80`s sent it north. To many new fuel truck on the road someone making money, and it`s not me.
    ...See More

Snow, snow and . . . snow

Q

Comments (42)
    nice whaas, novaplant, and rispetto! novaplant, looks like those horses are riding the storm out! we're finally getting some snow here today, it's been a while Pinus strobiformis in pot on left, Picea pungens in ground on right (Helianthus maximiliana, tall plant in middle)
    ...See More

Anyone with Tropic Snow Peach in Rural South Florida?

Q

Comments (3)
    Sure, bring it! They do well in Jupiter Farms, should be okay in the much warmer Loxahatchee area too. Lisa
    ...See More
  • carola_gw(Z3NH)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The kids will probably like it for as long as it lasts. Not so sure about the adults lol

• Sarah1502
    10 years ago

Hey Y'all!

I am a lurker on here. lol But couldn't resist adding to this thread. I am in southern GA, about an hour north of FL. We are expecting between a quarter and a half inch of ice. My school (I'm a principal) is closing early tomorrow and we are out Wednesday and possibly Thursday. The low temp and wind chill factor is expected to be in the teens for the next few days. Definitely NOT what we are used to.

I do not know what I will do for my indoor plants if we lose power. I hope someone here will give me advice. The central heat in my home went out for almost two days last week, and it got so cold in my house that I had plants that were damaged. One of my sans got mushy leaves, and my marble queen pothos has some brown tips on the new leaves.

I have no idea what this extreme cold will do to my landscape plants. Although they are mulched, I will probably have to replace some of them this spring.

This is crazy weather down here! :)

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Projected snow/ice here tomorrow. Local schools are going to be closed tomorrow and Wednesday. No outdoor plants to speak of... Other than Hubby's maple (the beginnings of his bonsai tree. I'm not worried about it though, we have a covered patio and well, it's a tree lol).

I don't mind the snow, but the ice concerns me. It got bad enough here about 10 years ago, broke power lines from the heavy ice; we were out of power for three days. That was when I still lived with my folks and didn't have houseplants to speak of. If the power went out that long, I'm not sure what we'd do.

Planto

• carola_gw(Z3NH)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

l will take snow over ice anyday. Fingers crossed for everyone that it won't be as bad as it could be.Anyhow, you will probably be back in the 50's in two days.
    Sarah- only thing I can think of is to group them if you can and cover them. Maybe if you have a gas stove put a container with hot water underneath with them? Maybe even a battery operated light might work to give some warmth.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

I hope you southerners are trickling some water in the faucets! Unhook the hoses from the outdoor faucets and insulate the spigots.

The south has bitter cold cycles every few years. Some plants will die, some will suffer freeze damage but will recover once cut vack in the spring.

People will swear that they will never plant another oleander (just an example) EVER AGAIN! But they will.

You should have a plan in mind should the electricity be knocked out.

10 years ago

I hope you southerners are trickling some water in the faucets! Unhook the hoses from the outdoor faucets and insulate the spigots.

The south has bitter cold cycles every few years. Some plants will die, some will suffer freeze damage but will recover once cut vack in the spring.

People will swear that they will never plant another oleander (just an example) EVER AGAIN! But they will.

You should have a plan in mind should the electricity be knocked out.

• carola_gw(Z3NH)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Purple
    Missed the donut thing with first reading- I have done several donuts driving around here through the years. One
    reason I love being retired- I don't have to drive at all hours of the night on everything or in anything.

• carola_gw(Z3NH)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good info Rhizo- Also can put lights on any pipes you are worried about freezing-however I only do that if it is way below 0.
    This is strange but all I can picture is all the great Southern plants- like the Oleander shivering and want to cover them with woolen hats , scarves and mittens.

• christine1950
    10 years ago

I hope your all doing alright, It's been bitter cold here in NY but we are used to it. Remember if you go out to layer your clothes and keep blankets in your trunk.
    Christine

10 years ago

March 5, 1993, interstate near Atlanta, finally melting. Hope this isn't what's coming!

• paul_
    10 years ago

Hope you all weather things well. Rhizo definitely gave some good advice ... especially about the hoses and pipes.

Planto, I hope your hubby's bonsai survives. Had I seen this sooner I would have advised you to bring it inside. Why? Well trees in the ground have their roots insulated somewhat by the Earth itself, not to mention getting the residual heat that is in the ground. Plants in small pots have no such luxury -- tree or not. Cold that an outdoor tree/shrub/plant in the ground could shrug off with maybe just some minor branch damage can be lethal to a similar plant in a small above ground pot because the roots can get killed by the cold.

Always amusing from a northerner point of view when we hear about folks freaking out over a little snow. But that is because we have to stop and remember that y'all aren't used to such things. And when you aren't used to it, it is a very big deal.

Which brings to mind a memory that always gives me a chuckle ....

Back when I was a freshman in university in Michigan, there were a couple of guys I met from "Joirsey" (difficult to type with that Jersey accent). It was Fall term -- November or December -- and a bunch of us were sitting around shooting the breeze. One of the Jersey guys commented about how it was going to be so nice not having classes on the morrow. We looked at him in puzzlement having no idea what he was talking about. Seeing our confusion he then clarified by mentioning that the weather forecaster said we were getting 2-3 inches of snow overnight into the next day. We all bust out laughing and then had to "break the bad news" to him -- that this was Michigan. It was going to take a heck of a lot more than that to close the university.

10 years ago

Icy Gardenia.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Us northerners are also having a very bad winter, our average high for January is 31' today is only 14, we have seen so many negatives and single digits' its bone-chilling, I can't believe you southerners are going to be suffering from cold too, ans snow and ice....from what I know Tiffany, gardenias are fairly cold hardy, but a blanket on it may help...let's hope spring will soon arrive!

Update, sorry if I sound like a civil war time northerner referring to confederates :-)

This post was edited by teengardener1888 on Tue, Jan 28, 14 at 17:09

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Oh, a fellow New Yorker, hellow Christine, also protect valuable clay containers from breaking, and close windows to protect houseplants, lost a AV due to open window

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Uggggg... We are expecting 12 inches here in Virginia Beach. The ground still has snow on it from the last storm. The city is shutting down. Stores are empty and gas station lines are out of the parking lots...

Unbelievable.

Stay warm everyone!!!

Laura

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Laura, sheesh..Please stay safe ..You would think it an Apocalyspe....I hope you found a safe place for your plumies.

Does the ground in the deep south states ever freeze up? I think the snow down there only lasts for a day or two until the sun melts it away, right?
    If that is the case, then that explains why each state has only about one plow per town if that..

Don't forget to keep your plants on the drier side if in pots until your warmer weather returns....
    The only upside to all of this is that you can all sympathize with us who get stuck with this long dreadful cold for weeks on end...It stinks unless you are a winter sports buff like I use to be..

Purple, you are too funny..lol

Mike

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Umm, plants in dry soil (potting mix) will have freeze damage sooner and more severe than those with moist soil (potting mix).

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Started snowing here at about 9pm... Still snowing. :D some roads are already icing over though...

Planto

• carola_gw(Z3NH)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Looks like a mess down there.Feel bad for the poor kids that got stuck in school rather than having a day off. Sarah-Think you made the right choice closing school.Hope your plants did ok.
    Funny how different things can make a difference in various areas- Like 2-3" of snow would mean nothing up here-we get that with flurries. I don't even have my yard plowed for 2".
    Then did you see the thing on tumbleweeds in N.M ?Plowing tumbleweeds!! I don't even know what a tumbleweed is!

10 years ago

There's my mini garden under the sheet on the front porch.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

umm, I'll reword that

Make sure not to over water since cold damp wet potting soil can rot many plants until the warm returns, especially succulents.

Mike

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Wed, Jan 29, 14 at 10:10

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Wow Tiffany, you have more snow on the ground than we have in Albany, NY right now... we have what it seems hundreds of snow lowers in our city........I fear my winter jasmine may be dead being its been tough out here and it is marginally hardy in the north

10 years ago

We couldn't make a snowball, angel, or snowman. It's just bits of ice.

10 years ago

Icy Camellias.

10 years ago

Curling, Alabama style!

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Oh you got ice and not soft powdery snow....... I'm sick of seeing both:-) Where are the crocus blossoms,:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

We got about 2 inches of snow here, but it started melting a couple hours ago. Wish the snow woukd last longer than a day when it does snow. It's such an uncommon occurrence. :/

Planto

10 years ago

Mike, you and jean are both right about the watering issue. Outdoor plants, either in pots or in the ground have a far better chance of survival if the leaves are turgid. Indoor plants can get into trouble if we water frequently without checking the soil.

Outdoor watering is something I always recommend prior to an approaching freeze...several hours in advance so that the cells have time to get full of water.

And Mike....speaking of freeze damage. My Osmanthus fragrans, now around 9 feet tall, has gone through many days of below freezing temps....including low single digits and days where it has never gotten out of the teens.

We had plenty of rain before the worst of it, 4ð. So far, so good! I'll have to wait until the heat of the summer to see if there is any deep tissue damage. Keep your fingers crossed.

Purple, adorable picture of the kids. In case you don't know already, camellia buds are very cold hardy, especially if still fairly closed up. Ice is a fabulous insulator, too.

We had a bit of snow here; it was as fine as baking soda. No ice. Knock on wood.

• Sarah1502
    10 years ago

We only had a very light dusting of snow in the part of Georgia where I live. It was worse just south and north of the county I am in. It's like we were in a little pocket that didn't get much bad weather. I'm relieved. We never lost power. Plants inside are doing just fine. I won't know for a long time, what has been lost outside.

I have friends in Atlanta who were stranded, or got as close as they could and had to walk for miles to get home. That area is still a mess.

It is still extremely cold! But by Saturday we will be in the upper 60's. Crazy!!!

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Crocuse please come out, I have spring fever !!!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hello Everyone!!

We received 13 inches and had a record low of 5 degrees!!

Mike.. All of my plants are inside or in the greenhouse thank goodness!!! I am out flying in this mess and if the power goes off again, I am in big trouble. Home tonight, so I can keep an eye on the greenhouse. ;-)

Love all of the pictures!!!

Stay warm...

Laura

• paul_
    10 years ago

Interesting, Rhizo. I think a further explanation is in order.

I would have thought turgid leaves would cause MORE of an issue. As the tissue freezes, a fully filled cell, I would have thought, would be
    1) more likely to burst as the water expands
    2) have internal ice crystals lacerate the cell membranes.

What would be the mechanics be that would result in a turgid cell suffering less damage?

10 years ago

Good to hear about the Camellias, TY Rhizo. As old as they are, we weren't worried about them but it's still strange/difficult to see. They've been through 2 bouts of temps in the teens so far this winter. We moved here to get away from crap like that. Ewww! As if!

Paul, TY for asking that, I was wondering too. The CW I was given about succulent plants exposed to sub-freezing temps is to try to have them dry at the time, (so have put sheet on mini garden when the rains started, to keep the rain off of it,) but I don't think the advice about watering first was in regard to anomalous plants like that. But I am also curious because one of the features of a successful microclimate is often that it's a fairly dry spot for various reasons. Avoiding the combo of soggy+cold is often attributed to successful zone-pushing/cheating. I would like to know when to do the opposite. Is this to help the 'normal' plants to cope with an unusual situation, not those with questionable hardiness?

So, some schools are still closed here, some counties say their roads are closed. After days of wondering, 'cuz the news never did say, and the idea is foreign to someone who used to face daily driving in much more 'stuff' than even fell from the sky here, I finally figured out what closed roads means - they don't put up signs so you know, but insurance won't pay, according to a friend of a friend who did wreck from sliding on ice. That makes about as much sense as everybody thinking they are safer if everyone is insured. Yes, removing financial responsibility from drivers makes them a lot more careful, yeah, right. Got it, made a note of it.

• Will07
    10 years ago

Responding to caro123 original post, up here in ottawa we take our plants inside when it gets too cold outside :) yes they may suffer if you don't have the proper environment for them. But as soon as the weather takes a turn for the best the plants are right back outside! I know my tropical plants will suffer anywhere from 5-7 months being in the house. For me keeping them alive during the winter is 3/4 of the battle. When I see them thrive outside in the spring I'm greatfull they pulled through the winter and I hope for fruit or flowers.

A couple of centimetres of snow and ice won't kill your plants. It might even be beneficial killing off viruses, bacteria, and invasive species.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living