SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kirkus_gw

State of Emergency...Snow...snow...snow!

kirkus
16 years ago

Hi everyone! Snow! Snow! Snow! We keep getting hit by one snow storm after the other here. Another is due in tonight and more this weekend! Schools have been shut down. I've been off from teaching for 4 days, and we're closed again tomorrow. Today, our govenor has declared a state of emergency for our county and the surrounding counties.

We have almost 4 feet of snow at out house. It's so pretty, but I'm growing tired of plowing! LOL Wanted to share some photos of the Great Snowstorm of 2008! Bear Hugs! From, A Snow-Covered Kirk

Here's the front of our house and our deck...

{{gwi:77297}}

{{gwi:77298}}

Here's Bart, my chainsaw carved bear, I've posted throughout the year...

{{gwi:77299}}{{gwi:77300}}

And my rustic fence under the snow...

{{gwi:77301}}

And my chainsaw carved eagle I've posted throughout the year. He too is hiding under the snow!

{{gwi:77302}}

Our two youngest kids loving the snow...

{{gwi:77303}}

Finally, here's Toeby. (He has 7 toes on each front paw.) He really loves playing in the snow!

{{gwi:77304}}

Comments (22)

• kudzukween
    16 years ago

Oh wow, all that snow. I've only seen snow a few times in my whole life! My daughter is in WA, on the AFB. Her DH is in Spain. She's very tired of the snow!

• cindee11461
    16 years ago

Yikes that is a lot of snow. The good part is you get a few days off(-: No snow here just rain and more rain. Its really wet and cold. We need sunshine!!!! Thanks for sharing your pictures!!!!

• use2bcapecodr
    16 years ago

Oh, Kirk...how beautiful!! It sounds like things have gotten out of hand there, but it sure is pretty!!

I love the birdhouses with the little piles of snow on them. Close up shots of them would be really cute framed...maybe hung in a group.

I'll bet Olivia is loving playing in the snow. Little Ben looks snug as a bug in a rug! Too cute!

What an absolutely beautiful kitty Toeby is! I love the name too!

Your whole place is wonderful...natural and absolutely lovely!

Soon the snow will be gone, the flowers will be popping their sweet faces out of the damp earth, and all that snow will be nothing but a memory and future bedtime story for your grandchildren.

Take care...happy plowing!

~Sandy~

• daisyme
    16 years ago

What a winter wonderland! Thanks for all the wonderful pictures, Kirk! We've been getting the cold wind, and rain in Northern Calif which is keeping us from leaving for the SouthWest. Who wants to drag 50 ft (a 20 ft truck and 31 ft trailer) out in the wind? So here we sit. It's not nearly as pretty looking at the rain as the snow. *smile*
    Snuggle in and enjoy!

• susiesunshine
    16 years ago

It's hard to follow up after Ms Sandy....
    She says it all so beautifully .................
    The S N O W is Pretty....
    The Kid's are Fantastic........
    The Cat is Cute !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ya'll will certainly have some PICTURES for the
    Family Album.... that will go down in HISTORY !!!!!!
    I know being SNOW BOUND
    With a House full of People You L O V E ~~~~~~~~~~
    is Lot's of Fun.....
    I can just see the "Honey DO List "..........
    I think
    besides..... all the snow plowing ya'll are
    probably having the
    "Bear Creek Adventures In the SNOW ~~~Reality SHOW!!!"
    Snuggle Up
    Beside the Warm Fire.... Drink Some Hot Cocoa and
    Tell tales of days of the past .....
    and Dreams of the F U T U R E !!!!!!!
    God Bless You ALL !!!!!!
    Thanks for sharing the Wonderful Pictures !
    Keep us informed......
    Love Ya Bunches !
    SusieSunShine

• meadel
    16 years ago

!!!! That's just too much snow !!!! burrrr makes me shiver just looking at it!!
    Really beautiful photos Kirk! I can't believe the cat likes it! My dog would just go nuts.
    Lot's of rain here! Hardly any snow this winter ( probably less than 2 inches) !
    .. ok.. now I jinxed myself.. getting out the shovel : )
    Enjoy it .. I think your bears are hibernating !!

• countrygrl
    16 years ago

I guess I can't complain about the 10" we got, can I?!? It looks like alot of fun...and alot of work! Sure is beautiful though, isn't it? I just saw on the news that they had to close down a major interstate up there. Is that by you? They said it would cost millions to close it down for just one day. It looks like our snow will be melted by rain in a few days. That's a bummer, because when we get this much, I like to enjoy it for a while!!

• nancyjeanmc
    16 years ago

Wow...that's what my son was just talking about. Well, to be more accurate, he was placing an order for it. Right now I think I would jump out of my skin if we got that...I would feel very trapped.
    We are moving in a few months into a home in a neighborhood. Then it would be fun.

• mssunflower
    16 years ago

WOW!!! What marvelous pictures. Kirk, your bear looks like he's checking out the weather from his snow covered den. He needs to wait until Saturday, Feb. 2 which is groundhog day and see what Puxtawnie (sp??) has to say about winter. I'm pulling for the early spring, but he doesn't listen to me (after all, I'm originally from Florida) Thanks for sharing such beautiful pictures and ya'll keep warm and safe up there in snow country.

Ms. Faith

• luna_llena_feliz
    16 years ago

OMG! I guess I can't complain about the 6" we got last night! I remember winters like that when it was so hard to shovel because you ran out of room to throw the snow! It would get so bad that people had to shovel off their roofs so they wouldn't collapse. I remember driving in a horrible snowstorm once (only 350 miles!) and seeing big rigs out in the woods or flipped over on their sides in the lane next to me on the freeway. When I got to my destination, I came close to kissing the ground because I nearly collapsed from the stress. It only took the highway department a day to get it all cleared off. I sure hope you folks get some respite from the snow and experience a very slow spring thaw!

• susiesunshine
    16 years ago

Hey.....
    Nice to hear from Ms Nancy Jean tooooooo~~~~~~
    missed seeing your posts.....and glad you are working
    on this NEW YEAR WE ARE HAVING>>>>
    Even if it is COLD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yea.....
    Country Girl & LLF looks like our 6" & 10" etc....
    are not so bad after all.............
    I was just remembering...... I SAID " TRY NOT TO COMPLAIN!"

Sometimes when I shovel a whole bunch of the WHITE STUFF ~~~~~ I forget to remember that !!!!teehee! Everybody.... Stay Warm and Cozy~~~ Take up snuggling as a favorite past time !!!!! God Bless SusieSunShine \* \* \* \* \* \* \* \* \* \* \* \* \* (((huggggs))) \* \* \* \* \* \* \* \* \*
  • nmgirl
    16 years ago

"Toeby"? Love it!

That's a lot of snow.............that is a lot of snow.
    I think I would go gaga if I had to deal with all that. Hang in there!
    Thanks for the pics.

• Bright199
    16 years ago

Kirk and Carol.... please stay warm and safe. I remember snow growning up in Ohio. Not much Here in the Carolina's but that't fine with me. We have had some wonderful rain though. Still need more we are still at a deficite (sp?) I know the kids are loving the break from school...but it's hard to make up that school work. Time to do some projects inside!!

• kirkus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi everyone! Bright, because of the state of emergency, looks like we won't have to make up the school days! Yahoo! I don't want to teach into July! Yes, Countrygrl, major interstates from eastern to western Washington have been shut down which isn't good for commerce...avalanches have happened along those highways. Today was a warmer day which helped! I plowed out an elderly neighbor, and came home today to find oatmeal cookies on our porch. Made it all worthwhile! Thanks for your prayers and concerns. We haven't had a winter like this since 1968! (I was a little guy then but I remember it well!) The snow is sooooo pretty though! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• nancyjeanmc
    16 years ago

Snow days that don't have to be made up...the best of all possible worlds!
    Hey, Susie, thanks for missing me. A lot of family time going on right now; we had a loss in our family that has been tough on us all, especially my boys, so things are not quite "normal" here (whatever normal is!)
    Love you guys,
    Nancy

• princess_mimi
    16 years ago

Oh dear Nancy! We'll be keeping you and your boys in our prayers too!

~~Mimi

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

Incredible photos, Kirk. I can't even imagine actually living in that much snow! Like Bright, I remember snow from growing up in Ohio. Don't think snow would be as much fun at my current age, LOL.
    That much snow on your roof makes me a nervous wreck by the way. Stay safe and warm, and give my darling BenBear a big ol' hug on his very first birthday for me!!

Nancy, I'm deeply sorry for what you and your boys are suffering. Will keep all of you in my prayers.
    hugs, Karen

• akup_a
    16 years ago

How do you live in all that white stuff? We had less than half an inch at Thanksgiving here in my part of Texas and it shut the whole town down!
    You have a Hemmingway cat too? My fat, Sass-a-fras (Sassy for short) little lady has an extra toe on each of her paws. I love the way they walk when they have extra toes. It's like, every step they take is draped with a puddle of fur.
    The kids sure look happy in all that white stuff! Be safe and God bless.
    akup_a

• luna_llena_feliz
    16 years ago

Thanks a lot Kirkus for sending all that snow over here! lol! You know the weather is driving you nuts when you talk to your car like it is a horse saving your life. lol! I managed to name my van Ol' Bess. I gave her a nice pat on the steering wheel when she made it up the icy snow covered road from work. I yelled, "Good girl!," when she started up from a stop in a big pile of snow. I was cooing, "good Bess," all the way home. She got me back home safe and sound through about a foot of snow. We got between a foot and almost 2 feet here the other day. Pretty soon there won't be a place to park at work at all! All I can say is, THANK GOD ALMIGHTY FOR UNDERGROUND PARKING!

• mssunflower
    16 years ago

Oh, Ms. Luna, I'm so glad I am not the only one to talk to their car. I have named mine Miss Margaret, but call her Miss Maggie when she's in a spunky mood (in short galloping down the road rather than ambling and yes, I pat mine on the dash board when we make it through a tough spot or keep encouraging her with "You can make it, come on girl." I've always said that machines truly have minds of their own with a little mischief thrown in for good measure. Glad you made it home safe and sound. Please give "Bess" an ATTA GIRL for me.

Kirk, hope you guys are beginning to thaw out up in the northwest.

Loved the plate flowers on the other posting. When my 87 year old Dad walked by and saw your pictures he was impressed with what you had done.

Think Spring!! It will be here soon (despite the groundhog prediction).

Toodles,
    Ms. Faith

• jeannespines
    16 years ago

Hey, the snow never quits here in Iowa either!
    And now it's too darn COLD ... wind chills -30 to -45 degrees last night and this morning!
    Oh, I'm lookin' forward to spring.
    Here's my son's dog over for a visit in the snow before it was so darn cold!
    Keep the ideas coming! Makes spring seem just around the corner. Jeanne S.

{{gwi:77305}}

• nonacook
    16 years ago

I can't get warm, because we have a had a cold
    winter (our coldest day was 26 with a wind chill of 12)
    so I can't imagine how cold all that snow is! But then
    we warm up--Yesterday was our warmest day in a
    LOOOOOng time-and I am thankful--It was 72
    and I was still in a longsleeve turtleneck and jacket!