SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peachygreen

Distance/buffer between a new edible hedge and curb/street?

peachygreen
13 years ago

I'm new to these forums and have surfed existing posts before deciding to post here. I'm a first-time homeowner and have been in my 1950's ranch-style semi-urban home for little more than a year now. I've watched the sun/shade dance slowly across my property over the past year and now have some DIY ideas with the goal of building a functional, edible landscape with great curb appeal.

First, about my "canvas." My house faces north. Most of my south-facing land is shaded by tall trees, but my front yard is large enough such that there is an area of dependable full sun, the ~5 feet closest to the street. The front curb of my property is quite long, so I have a fairly long strip to work with for a hedge. There is no sidewalk. My small no-outlet subdivision only gets neighborhood traffic, but there are the weekly garbage pickups, delivery trucks, etc.

I would like to build a curbside hedge, ideally blueberry bushes (for year-round interest) mixed with appropriate companion plants. I envision a curved landscape with a specimen fruit tree (thinking persimmon) at one end to balance the asymmetry of my driveway on the other end. I would also like to plant mushrooms (wine caps) on woodchips beneath the hedge for both food and bioremediation/soil building.

However, I am concerned about the proximity of edible plants to the street.

- Distance. How far away should I plant edibles from the road? I don't plan on planting veggies there, but I assume fruit trees and berry bushes are hardier than veggies. I may be wrong.

- Buffer. Would it help to plant "buffer" plants between the blueberry hedge and street? For instance, low ground covers or taller/denser plants like daylilies? Perennials would make more sense to me.

- Pollution. I don't know how bad the pollutants would be, but would the blueberry fruits absorb pollutants, or would the pollutants just coat and wash off? Is it worth doing soil tests for heavy metals, etc.? Can anyone reference empirical evidence to dispel paranoia? I've read some opinion that regardless, these edibles would be better than what we buy in stores.

I welcome any feedback and all ideas for the hedge or other ways to build an appealing and functional edible landscape.

Thanks!

Peachy Green

Comments (10)