SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bakemom_gw

Postage rates

15 years ago

Folks, please read your SASBE offers and educate yourselves on postage rates. I place extra stamps on mailers all the time as a courtesy and don't mind doing it.

However, lately I have had seven mailers with either one or two stamps for 20 packs of seeds. I suggest four. I am worried that seed won't be delivered under these circumstances unless the sender throws three more stamps on.

Thoughts?

Comments (23)

• 15 years ago

I haven't had any trade I sent out cost less than $1.34. They are usually $1.34, $1.51, or $1.68 except for one that was full of heavy bean type seeds.

$1.68 is just 4 stamps. If by some chance the seeds are all light weights, well than consider it $1.34 in postage and $0.34 in added insurance to make sure that things go smoothly.

One or two stamps is just going to guarantee that Bakemom has to buy stamps more often to make up for people not sending enough. Personally, I think her time is better spent generously packing up and sharing seeds than driving out to the post office and spending extra money to make up for someone who tried to skimp on stamps.

Just my $0.02 - or rather, $1.68.

Lynda

• 15 years ago

IMHO, if they dont send enough stamps, then they should get fewer seeds. If 4 stamps = 20 packs, then 2 stamps = 10 packs.

Doesnt get any fairer than that.

:)
    D

• Related Discussions

HAVE: New Postage Rates Reminder- May 14, 2007

Q

Comments (4)
    When I went to the post office today with all of my bubble envelopes, the postman told me that they will no longer be sent as an " envelope", they are too thick and will be covered as a " package " The new rates will all be going by letter size, thickness, and over sees mailing has changed.. and non profit organizations will be getting a cheaper rate. He also told me that if I take the bubble envelopes to the desk, instead of the drop box, that they get hand stamped no matter what.. can save a few cents. any more info on the postage, would love to hear. They said they are confused on how it will all go.. a ton of changes for them all to learn.
    ...See More

OT: Postage Rates- rant

Q

Comments (1)
    Yeah postage can be kind of crazy - especially for seeds. I don't get what's up with that. I often include the words free ship in my google searches when buying anything online. Granted some retailers hike up their prices to make up for the supposed free shipping yet then again some don't. -Amy in St. Louis
    ...See More

have: postage rate increase - important for sase

Q

Comments (7)
    I wonder how much it costs CP to send back those letters. They have to be stickered, sorted back to us, delivered back to us, and then put back into the system to be sorted again to their destination. All for 3 lousy cents. Our tax dollars at work. It's still a great deal, and I certainly won't stop sending and trading seeds, but I am just peeved at all the trouble for the kind of change I find on the sidewalk every day. BP
    ...See More

Patrick Studio has lowered postage rates -very reasonable

Q

Comments (1)
    never mind.
    ...See More
  • 15 years ago

It also depends on how thick the package is. $.83 or two stamps(.01 over) is to cover 1 oz with a package not over 1/4 inch thick. It can be returned if the package is thicker even though the weight is 1 oz or less. 1-2 oz I usually use 3 stamps and on thicker packages. 10 seed pkgs may not be able to be shipped for two stamps. Spread the little pkgs out in the bubble pkg so that it's even in thickness and there isn't a big bump.

• 15 years ago

I actually received 8 PLANTS the other day in a large bubble mailer. It had to have weighed in at the very least 4 oz. The sender only put two stamps on :o I couldn't believe it arrived! So it also depends on who's working at the PO.

• 15 years ago

I usually don't respond to these BUT Bakemom is kind enough to take her time to set this project up, the least people can do is send what she asks for for postage.

I agree with doris, less stamps means less seeds. Why should you have to put postage on packages for someone your already helping out!!

Lisa

• 15 years ago

ishareflowers, I wasn't disagreeing AT ALL. In fact, I'm surprised the one package arrived without postage due. The stamps hadn't even been cancelled so I would imagine it was a new individual that put it through the postal service and missed it all together.

I couldn't agree more with everyone here. Less postage should absolutely mean less seeds. Simply a matter of fact! Our time in filling SASBE's should be appreciated and not taken for granted. Quite honestly, if one doesn't send enough postage, is it that they are doing this on purpose? Of course newbies may have no concept of seed weights and sizes, but if they don't send what you ask for, they shouldn't receive what they asked for.

• 15 years ago

Bakemom,

My thoughts, and we've traded many times before and been around here on the seed exchange for a long time now, is this and it's simple.

You provided the information and what was needed to send to you. Now it's up to the member to send that requirement. If the don't then they don't get what was offered and/or requested.

There is no need for you to have to provide additional postage because someone did not send what they where told to send.

Before all the changes on the bubble envies, I used tell the trader to send the postage and I would have the envies weighed at the post office. If I was off on what I told them to send me, then I paid the additional postage, because it was my error. Rarely did I ask for too much, but there where some times that I didn't ask for enough.

If you want to spend the time e-mailing the member and telling them that they did not send the required postage and you will just send an amount of seeds that will cover that postage, you could do that.
    Or you could just send what the postage will cover and explain it and put it in the envie.

I'm not surprised though, that you are having this problem. I've had a couple of e-mails on an SASBE offer for at lest 40 packs of seeds and they wanted it sent with no more than 2 postage stamps.

I have a digital postal scale and I weigh everything before asking for postage now, and 2 stamps was not going to cover the number of seed packets, no way, no how.
    those SASBE never went through.

The postage rates for the bubble envies are done by meeting certain criteria now, which include being able to slip through a 1/4 or 3/4 inch slot, are a certain size mailer and the weight. It doesn't have anything to do with the number of seed packets inside, especially since seeds can vary so much in weight, size etc.

the basic price info is this, taken from the post on the conversation side

Bubble envelopes which are empty, or under 3/4" thick are classified as and to be charged as Large Envelopes and referred to as Flats) The contents (seed packs) should be taped in place, so the BE will be uniformly thick, and that the seeds don't shift, and then cause problems with the USPS equipment.
    Large Envelopes rates (BE under 3/4" thick)
    1 oz=$ .83
    2 OZ=$1.00
    3 OZ=$1.17
    4 OZ=$1.34
    5 OZ=$1.51

The charge for 1 OZ is for weight up to and including 1 OZ.
    The charge for 2 OZ is anything over 1 OZ, and up to and including 2 OZ.
    The charge for 3 OZ is anything over 2 OZ, and up to and including 3 OZ.

There are quite a few other posts on where to get the correct info to bring to the post office to have them charge the correct price.

Fran

Here is a link that might be useful: Mailing costs for Bubble Envelopes (BE)

• 15 years ago

Sorry, I misread the USPS info. It's confusing, but large envelope rates occur when package has more than a 1/4 inch variation....

Copied from USPS.com

First-Class Mail large envelopes are subject to First-Class Mail package prices if any one of the following apply:

It is too rigid  does not bend easily

Â It is not rectangular

Â It contains items that cause more than 1/4 inch variation in thickness

With this info, 3 stamps should work (with extra postage spent) to ship 20 seed packs, depending on qty & weight of seeds.

• 15 years ago

In the past I have had donors just send stamps - on their own for fun. Isn't that a riot? They don't have seeds to send, but they do want to help. It's cool b/c often noobs don't konw what to do regarding bubble mailers.

I don't want to punish anyone - I just want the noobs to read the post and send four stamps. I have gone through three sheets recently and I need people to read and think.

• 15 years ago

The postal service has a piece of cardboard with slots the bubble envelope has to go through or the envelope costs more to mail. They told me the package couldn't be over 1/4 inch thick or it wouldn't go through the processing machine without tearing up the envelope. It has never been under $1.00 to even mail one trade of TINY seeds. I always carry it to the post office and they check the size of the envelope and weight it. I live between 2 cities and shop at another (where 2 post offices are). So, we are talking 4 different post offices I go to. All of them check weight and size of bubble envelopes. Evidently, someone went to a post office that didn't care and was negligent in weighing and sizing packages. Sometimes happens! But, not often. If a person is to send stamps for a bubble envelope, they should include at least 3 stamps for small trades of tiny seeds and more for larger trades or larger seeds. Then, when the person has the package weighed, they will have enough postage to ship the envelope. That is only fair. And, thank about it this way, it is costing them a whole lot less than buying the seeds mail order. Those places charge for the seeds plus shipping and packaging. Personally, I appreciate anyone willing to share their seeds or plants with me. It keeps plants from being composted or seeds from going to waste. And, most of the time, these seeds or plants will do better than what you buy. I've bought lots of seeds that didn't sprout and lots of plants that didn't survive. At least, if that happens through trading with another gardener, I have not lost as much money, as I would, if I had bought the seeds or plants.
    I'm thankful we have Gardenweb to trade seeds and plants. SAVES $$ and recycles plants or seeds that would have to be thrown away.

• 15 years ago

chrmann - WOW that's strange...they never do that here on the West Coast. All the bubble packages I've received over the past few months...unless they were much heavier, have had Postal Printed $.83 or two $.42 stamps. Even packages that I've ordered from seed companies were metered (and not bulk) weren't more than $1.00 in postage. Packages that I've shipped out have only had two stamps, unless they weigh over 1 oz and I've never had a problem. I hand them to the postal workers at the counter and never have had them question it. I wonder what the difference is. The postal printed ones have to be weighed to print it at the PO. I wonder if the USPS actually knows how much it is to mail a bubble mailer lol.

I'm also smack dab between 4 postal stations. Never had it different in any of them.

It used to be that the extra charge on a larger/thicker envelope was for hand cancelling. Not sure what is what anymore, since the postage increase last year.

• 15 years ago

It has never been under $1.00 to even mail one trade of TINY seeds. I always carry it to the post office and they check the size of the envelope and weight it.

Chrmann,
    Your Post Offices must all be those that are overcharging, ie charging Parcel rate instead of Large Envelope rate if the BE is less than 3/4" thick with the seeds evenly distributed and taped down to keep them from shifting As littleonefb posted above bubble envy costs should start at 83 cents for anything 1 OZ or less and meeting the thickness requirement of being under 3/4"

If anyone is going to be trading or sending many seed offers, I suggest one get a postal scale, so one knows exactly what the BE weighs before even closing up.
    If only 2 stamps are sent, then I would send up to 1 OZ of seeds.

Scales like this (by the same seller-Just Pounds and Ounces)SHIPPING POSTAL SCALE Often sell for just 96 cents with $15.87 to ship. It soon pays for itself in the postage costs it saves, besides being so handy and not having to have them weighed at the PO. The one in the link above goes out in a little over an hour.

If you would be interested in a scale, but aren't an Ebayer, just drop me an email. I will bid on one, and have it shipped directly to you, and you can reimburse me...which I have done b4 for a fellow GW member..

Sue...who will start twitching if she reads or say anything more.

Here is a link that might be useful: 35, 50, and 75 LB ones. severaral going out at 96 cents

• 15 years ago

Knew Sue would weigh in and help out. It's a sticky problem. I offer 20 packs of seed so even with 2 stamps on the way in and 4 on the way out you are still getting $$$ worth of seed. AND, it's mostly seed from someone's garden, which in my opinion, are proven winners.

I don't want to embarass noobs or make anyone feel bad, but the post says 4 stamps for the return. I have been doing this for a number of years. It has only been a chronic problem recently. I also will provide bubble mailers if the noob doesn't have them or know what it is. I actually have had several donations of packs of bubble mailers. Those go out regularly and it's fun to do so.

Maybe this shall pass.

• 15 years ago

Knew Sue would weigh in and help out. It's a sticky problem.

No bout adoubt it. for sure....lol

See below for Maxine's thoughts on the United States Postal Service.....

• 15 years ago

Most of the time I have done SASE offers, most of the times there isn't a problem. Someone sends me a small bubble pack and a few stamps. I have an electronic scale, and if they give me too many stamps, I put the extra postage back in their envelope. Our one post office is okay for not over charging, but the one in west virginia is terrible, I never mail anything from them anymore, they had sent back a small envelope that I had sent to someone, they wrote something like too small or some ludicrous message! I re sent it through another post office and no problems!

Only time I had problems was some lady sent me a HUGE envelope, and it was classified as oversized, hence postage due. I have no idea how big she thought the seeds were going to be, but not that big!

If postage is due, you can always write 'refused, insufficient postage' on it if you have to. I didn't, but it's an option. :P

• 15 years ago

If postage is due, you can always write 'refused, insufficient postage' on it if you have to.
    I know sometimes they (the PO folks) return it to sender if it needs more postage. Other times they send it on, and then charge the receiving party. It seems that is just another thing that they are consistently inconsistent about.

If they would always return it to the sender for the additional postage, then the sender would 'learn' one would hope, what they should be paying...or take the matter up with their PO if they happen to be being overcharged.

I think I'll ask the Post Master General about that one too.

It seems they should all be using the same set of instructions across the US, wouldn't you think?

Sue....twitchin now

• 15 years ago

I just ran across this thread on my way to the round robin forum and wanted to join the chorus to say that I think it is thoughtless and ungracious for folks to send less postage than they are specifically TOLD is needed Bakemom when you are being so generous with your time and seeds!!!!!! I would be adding a line in the offer that specifically states that if the return envelope received has less than 4 stamps on it, the envelope will NOT be mailed.

Part of me says - oh nance, don't be harsh.... the economy is clapsing around our feet and maybe people just are not thinking in their efforts to economize. But I honestly don't think that is what is happening here. I think people do not read carefully. They are busy and careless. Period. I see it every day of my life at work. I'd advise making the text very, very clear about the consequences of sending less than 4 stamps - -NO SEEDS WILL BE SENT. Not warm and fuzzy but clear!

Nancy..who is having a bad day so maybe she is just a touch cranky and overreacting!!!!! But I don't think so!

• 15 years ago

As a newbe I may have not put enough postage or put inside the package whatever the posting said. If I do owe anybody any postage, please let me know. I do not want cheat anybody out of their hard work and effort. I do appreciate all the work, time and talent that is put into this. Some members I did e-mail and request for a bubble to be sent out and the members gladly oblidged.

Please, please, if I forgot anything, please let me know or if a trade was not done properly--I am slowly learning the ropes. All what I have received is articulated, more that I could have imagined. A suggestion is to keep ontop and bump the message up forward for newbe's to read--I never seen it until way after the fact--I only view the newest postings, I did not go back.

Thanks for all the wonderful offers and SASBE and the wonderful work, time, energy and talents each of you have put into making a group sucessful. Dancinqueene/Pam

• 15 years ago

I knew the rates had gone up, but wasn't really sure how much to put on the envelopes. I had received several bubble envelopes with only 2 stamps. So when I was sending out 10 trades, I put 2 stamps on all the envelopes that only had a couple seed packs in them. All were the same size, about the same number of seed packets (2-3), and can you belive it, 8 or of the 10 came back to me.
    I slapped on another stamp, seemed to do the trick.

I will put 3 stamps on all of my bubble envelopes now, unless it is a lot more seeds.

• 15 years ago

toomanyanimals...

It isn't always necessary to put three stamps on a large envelope. Unless the person who is offering the SASBE is asking for a specific amount, such as bakemom who needs 4 stamps for what she sends out, two stamps is sufficient for up to a 1 oz pkg, according to the PO's OWN set of rules. In fact, they are making an extra penny on every one of those packages...wonder how many $ million that adds up to over the course of a year???....

Large Envelope =
    Dimension Minimum* Maximum
    Height 6-1/8 inches 12 inches
    Length 11-1/2 inches 15 inches
    Thickness 1/4 inch 3/4 inch
    * Large envelopes exceed at least one of these dimensions.

For example, an envelope 10 long x 8 inches high x 1/4 inch thick is considered a large envelope because it exceeds the minimum height dimension.

Large envelopes that are rigid, nonrectangular, or not uniformly thick pay package prices.

For large envelopes, length is the longest dimension.

For larger items, see package prices.

And the Large envelope pricing is listed on a post above, starting at $.83 for up to a 1 oz envelope.

I actually weigh my packages with a small postal scale and place postage on them before I go to the post office. If you go to USPS.com and click on calculate postage, you can click the little question mark next to "large envelopes" and this information is right there.

Maybe, instead of sticking the postage on the Bubble pkg, send the "un stuck" stamps inside. Then if the person sending the seeds needs a bit more they can use it otherwise they can send your stamps back. Rather than offer the USPS MORE postage that they're overcharging for.

If you think about it, how many $ million a year is the USPS OVERCHARGING those of us who don't know? $.50 plus per package it sounds like eh? Add it up with all the large envelopes being treated like parcels...with a few million shipments (A WEEK?) I would suggest printing the info out at the USPS and showing it to them when you take your package in, if they want to question your postage.

It might be worth a little investigation by the Media....to expose this little government money maker eh?

• 15 years ago

Media.... now that's an interesting idea! If we don't get their attention with what Sue is doing with the postmaster general, that would be a great back-up plan... :-)

Blessings,
    Angela

• 15 years ago

We have a friend who's a reporter and she would love to get her hands on that kind of story.

• 15 years ago

i agree that people should send the amount of stamps asked for. i think it irritates me when you put in the post 3 stamps, then you get some people who only send you 2, i am one of those people who have a soft heart and absolutely hate to waste stamps, so of course i don't send anything back. but i have ran across some of my friends who will. it wouldn't bother me if it was say 2-3. but its like maybe 5 or something like that. the bad part, on some, for the most part, i've been the one putting out the bubbly's, because i have the extra. so i agree with nancy, people are just careless, and busy, i think some are lazy and like to see what they can get away with, and know most people WONT send them back. PERIOD. IMHO ~Medo

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus