SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scottfsmith

Anyone else noticing lack of fireblight this year so far?

Scott F Smith
15 years ago

Many of my apples are dropping petals now and I have yet to see a single fresh fireblight strike. This is in contrast to last year when I was up to my ears in strikes at this time. I am wondering if the temperatures we had recently did not work strongly against the blight. It was abnormally cool here up until 4-5 days ago whereupon a super roaster moved in and we are 15 above normal now. The optimal FB range is supposed to be 75-85 and also not getting below 50's at night, and I think we may have just "hopped" over its sweet spot. For the next couple of weeks we will be more in the sweet spot so I expect I will see some damage, but the bloom period is the worst for the spread. Or, maybe it was just my brilliant spray program (ha) -- copper dormant strength at silver tip, and then agrimycin at 20% bloom. I was going to apply agrimycin again this weekend but held off given that I did not see a single strike.

I am also hoping this swing has frozen/roasted out some of the other diseases. The only problem I have noticed is some powdery mildew, a disease that loves heat. I also had pear leaf blister mites on the pears but an oil spray plus possibly the heat wave seems to have eliminated them.

Scott

Comments (10)