SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Fertilizer.Does anyone else ever notice this from temp. changes?

meyermike_1micha
14 years ago

Has anyone else ever noticed how their plants react to extreme temperature changes?

The first thing I ALWAYS notice is the leaves turning a brighter green or yellow, and stunted growth.

Yes, my plants especially gardenias and citrus will be doing absolutley fine with the fertilzers I use, the best kind mind you, that is until the weather goes ballistic and changes way to frequently. One extreme to another...

All but one were sooo green and healthy looking the past 2 weeks with perfect temps to help, that is until the past few days when my temps have been going down into the 40's at night and with temps only reaching the low 50's for the past 3 days by day...Mind you for almost June!:-(

Ever notice that your plants look their best when day time temps and nights are most stable, very suitable, usually warmer than 50 at night, and cooler than the 90's at day?

Maybe that is why nurseries have such an advantage, upper hand over us...

DARK green leaves and perfect blossoms bought from them and even my local grocery store all year everytime.!Gardenias with DARK GREEN leaves loaded with blossoms at the market today!

I am begining to think that fertilzers and watering have NOTHING to do with lack of nutrient uptake in some cases, but the temperatures have a much bigger impact on them, and work against us more than we think...

How about you?

Now I am NOT going to assume the first problem with my plants are the fertilzers. If your soil is too hot or too cold, especialy in containers, to let the fertilizers work to their utmost performance, then don't just add more, that is a sure death sentence for most plants in containers...Overkill!

Now I am first going to make sure that the soil temperatures in my pots, whether indoors or out,are the cause for my nutrient defficient plants before I add more to the nutrients already locked up in the soil due to por temps....

Before anyone decides to manipulate their fertilizers thinking a plant needs more or a different kind, please make sure the reason why the fertilizer you are using is not working because of poor temps, or you WILL kill your plants with too much feed by adding more instead of blaming the wrong source of your problem, such as I have done..:-)

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm