SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mister_gin

How many of you trellis watermelons?

mister_gin
14 years ago

Just curious as to how good they grow vertically and how large of a melon can be grown this way. Sugar Babies grow well here so I'd try that one but I was also thinking Yellow Doll might be a good choice. Are larger melons possible?

I believe melons are going to be just as addicting as growing tomatoes for me. My problem is I don't have the space for both in my two raised beds. I'm planning on opening up a 12 foot wide section against the block wall at the back of our yard. I haven't decided on any trellis materials yet or if I should attach the trellis directly to the wall or not. I believe this area will work out nicely as it gets full sun all day long. This is good early on in the year up until June or so. Not so much now with continuous 110+ daily temps. I believe I'd also front the trellised melons with okra which appears to be holding up rather well in this heat.

One other thing, would there be any issues fall planting winter squash in the same area the melons & cukes were in the spring? If I continually did this would I be setting myself up for diseases and what not?

Wade

Comments (12)