SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lycheeluva

comprehensive report on my experience with surround footies

lycheeluva
13 years ago

I used them last year and was very pleased, with about 80% of the bagged fruit staying blemish free. I found they had several advantages over using sandwhich bags.

1. no need to spend any time preparing the bags. whereas with the ziplock bags, I had to snip the corners off each bag, and then cut the top of the bag above the lock-line and then open each bag. prob took about 30-60 secs per bag to prepare for use.

2 - the footies have perfect water drainage whereas, the bags, even when I snipped holes at the bottom of the bags, had very poor water drainage. with the bags, if i simply snipped holes in the corner, they simply formed a flattened corner which still retained water. if i then poked the corner holes open, this allowed the bugs to crawl into the bags. regardless, i found that the bottom corners of the bags actually tended to go on to the fruit as the top corners of the bag because you place the bag onto the fruit upside down which cause the bottom of the bag to end up as the top of the bag!!- so there was no gravity to direct the water out of the "bottom' corners of the bag)- bottom line is the bags, often collected and retained water which then rotted the fruit). the footies had zero water retention as the water drains out of the fine mesh holes.

3- the footies were much much easier/quicker/faster to insert onto the fruit and resulted in way fewer accidental decapitations of the fruitlets while trying to insert the footies as compared to when inserting the bags

4- About 90% of footies remained on the tree after application whereas about 30-40% of sandwhich bags fell off.

5- i found the surround footies worked much better at preventing insect damage- with the bags the bugs would crawl in up the corners or through the opening at the top of the bag. with the footies, only a small number had some insect/bird damage limited to the top of the fruit where the footie opening was.

6- the major disadvantage of the footies as compared to the bags is that the surround footies are way way more expensive at $28 for 288 surround footies. still 10c per bag while annoying is not prohibitive. once the footies were on, i stopped spraying inseciticide, though for the stone fruit trees, i continued to spray fungacide.

the footies subsantially reduced bacterial spot on my peaches but i dont think it eliminated it. will keep a better record this year. also i dont recall how the footies compared to the bags in terms of allowing the fruit to color up - if i recall correctly, i believe both the bags and the footies allowed the fruit to color up.

if i had the space and the equipment i would make the surround footies myself which would cost way less and prob only cost round $3-5 for the same amount- but i dont have the space /equipment or time to - so have just bitten the bullet and purchased 3 lots of 288 surround footies, which will suffice for me 2 plum trees, 3 nectarine trees and 2 apple trees

wondering what other peoples experience with surround footies has been and whether anyone has come up with a quick way of closing the ends of the footies on the fruit

i hope my report has been of use/interest to others!

Comments (25)