SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wolfey_gw

Eep! I overwatered my cyclamen?! Fix it!

Wolfey
12 years ago

I've had it a little over a month now, and this past week it started to develop yellow leaves that eventually became mushy, and a big crop of flowers have gone limp and wilted.

It did really well for the first few weeks - the leaves, new and old, were deep green and a bunch of new flowers bloomed. I only watered (from the bottom) when the top inch of soil was dry to the touch.

BUT, I panicked when I saw one of the older, largest flowers suddenly wilt one day. I assumed I had forgotten to water it and thoroughly doused it.

The soil never dried out. I was able to squeeze a good bit of excess water out, and after a couple of days I took the whole thing out of the pot to see if it would dry out better in the air. When it didn't, the whole thing went back in the pot (the soil retained it's pot shape when I took it out, so I don't think I traumatized the plant too much) and I've just been waiting with my fingers crossed.

More and more of the leaves are yellowing, and almost all the flowers have wilted and gone limp.

Is there hope?! Do any of you with your magical green thumbs know of any tricks?!

I would be forever grateful - I am very fond of this plant.

Incidentally, it sits about 7 or 8 feet from a bright southern exposure, not near any drafts. I haven't checked the roots, as I don't know how to do it without causing trauma.

Thank you!

Comments (28)