SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
veggiefaery

Neighbor Irritation

veggiefaery
13 years ago

Hey Everyone,

Thought I would take a minute to blow off some steam. My neighbor's basement floods and so she is in the process of having her entire backyard dug up to improve drainage. I had been told by my neighbor's roommate a few times that this was going to happen, but they never gave me a specific date as to when.

Yesterday I came home from teaching summer school, and discovered the side of hill, where my raised garden beds are nestled into, had backhoe tire tracks everywhere. The tread marks go right up to the wood marking out one of my garden beds. Of course I was annoyed to discover my yard had been dug up. I was also annoyed that I couldn't garden for fear that I would be run over by a backhoe.

Early this morning we experienced torrential rains (some areas experienced as much as 3 inches in one hour) so now the side of my hill is mud. It's extremely dangerous because it's so slippery. I was trying to take advantage of the rain and get some good weeding done, but after awhile I just had to give up. I couldn't keep my footing.

I appreciate that my neighbor needs her basement to stop flooding, but a heads up would have been nice. Or even asking permission use our yard as a road for a backhoe. I have no idea if the grass will be replanted. Even if it is, the the backhoe has compacted the dirt so bad, I'm not sure the grass seedlings will be able to take root. I am not sure how I am going to be able to garden with heavy machinery driving right by my garden.

Thanks for reading my rant!

Comments (24)