SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debbie_jean_brown

What is the most irritating thing someone's said to you about your MH?

Debbie B.
8 years ago

What's the most irritating, obnoxious, factually incorrect, or just plain rude thing someone has said to you about your manufactured home? That "someone" could be a co-worker, neighbor, family member, or even your best friend!

Although manufactured homes have come a long way over the past half-century or so, attitudes toward them have not always kept pace. Today's MHs are well built, safe, stylish, and yes...beautiful! And MH owners are some of the most creative weekend warrior DIYers I know. From a cozy cottage small SW to a modern, spacious DW complete with full basement; from a simple drought resistant ornamental grass garden to yards featured in landscape architecture magazines; from an 8x8 landing to a full wrap-around outdoor living space with hot tub, pizza oven, and fire pit, Manufactured Homes are as beautiful and diverse as any other home.

But your sister-in-law, work or school buddy, next door neighbor, or best friend since the 5th grade, just doesn't get it! In their minds, a manufactured home will always be "less than," something temporary until you can get a "real house." And for some unknown reason, these people feel perfectly OK about telling you to your face exactly what they think about it! People who would never tell you that they think your blouse is ugly, or that your hobby is a waste of time, or that your ten year old child is a brat, don't hesitate or even think twice about telling you that your MH is a POS!

So...here's your opportunity to vent! What's the rudest, most obnoxious, or anger-inspiring thing someone has said to your face about your MH? If you so choose, you can include any snappy comeback you gave in response, or that you thought of later!

Here's mine. I actually have two. I haven't moved into my "new" MH yet, so these are about my parents' brand new DW they purchased in 1973, when I was 13 years old. My dad's cousin and her husband, who were very wealthy, came over for dinner about a month after we moved in. After getting the grand tour, cousin Maggie turned to my mom and said, "THIS IS QUITE NICE...FOR A TRAILER."

The second was from a girl whom I thought was my new best friend (we had moved from California to Washington state and into our lovely new MH). I was teased a lot because of my disability, among other things, but this girl had been really nice to me and we had become great friends--until the first time she came over to my house. I had always hung out at her place, but finally, about six or seven months into the school year, Laurie finally agreed to come for a sleepover at my house. I thought the weekend went well! We played pool and ping pong at the park clubhouse and went swimming in the clubhouse swimming pool, had a soak in the hot tub, rode bikes, watched TV, called a boy, lol, etc. A good time by any 13 year old's standards.

I had no idea anything was amiss until Monday morning at school. As previously mentioned, I was already teased a lot--today we would call it bullying and maybe someone would do something about it--and one of the reasons was for being "poor." I went to a small "Christian" school where most of the kids came from wealthy families because tuition was very high. My parents sacrificed a lot to send us there. I put "Christian" in quotes because I wasn't treated by my fellow students and even some teachers in a Christian manner.

So anyway... I walk into school Monday morning and was greeted by my "best friend" Laurie, with "Hello, TRAILER TRASH!!!" The rest of the day, week, and from some people the entire five years I attended that nightmare, I wasn't "Debbie" anymore, I was just known as "TRAILER TRASH."

So there's an example of both a child and an adult saying something rude and obnoxious about my MH. I survived the hurtful words, and have led a happy and content life. Even my life-long dream of getting a PhD and teaching at the university level is coming true! AND, I have just purchased my very first home as a single person, and it's a manufactured home!!

What's YOUR story?

Comments (12)

Sponsored