SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
armyofda12mnkeys

red/white currants/gooseberries as cordons

armyofda12mnkeys
12 years ago

Im going to grow some red/white currants as 3 branched cordons (and couple gooseberries).

I saw a couple articles on it:

http://www.pots2plots.com/Fruit/Growing Redcurrants.htm

http://www.asktheberryman.com/planting_guide/cordonarticle.html

https://djfextranet.agrsci.dk/sites/climafruit/offentligt/Documents/NO-Enclosure 41.pdf

I read through them, but still a little confused after trying to combine the info.

Generally I get maybe these are the steps ...

For each currant i plant, select 3 branches (i want a 3 branched cordon).

Spike three 6ft bamboo maybe (maybe 7-10 inches apart based on articles) and tie the branches to it, and train the branches up the bamboo.

Think i read they always keep 1 branch available near the ground in case one of the 3 main cordons dies and need to replace it...

Question 1: Should I just take 3 new-ish leaders coming out of the ground, and train them each upwards and later on the laterals forming off those are the fruiting branches (a '2-tier' structure).

Or should currants cordons form a 3 tier stucture? Like each leader/stem/trunk coming out of ground NEEDS to be pruned so a branch can form off one of its buds. and that 1 branch is whats trained up the bamboo for each leader, and the laterals off that in a few years are fruiting.

Question 2: Most places seem to say bamboo is fine to train up... yet pics have wire also. Should I drill holes in the bamboo wood and put some light/heavy gauge wire to support the plant?

Should there be heavy wood spikes at the both ends where the wire goes, so it supports the whole line better?

Wasnt sure how heavy the branches will get esp with no fruit first year or 2.

Question 3: The '4th' branch thats used a 'backup' branch, do they just prune that near the ground constantly in the summer, until one of the main branches dies and needs replacing (or do they let it grow somewhat and then winter prune it if main branches are fine)?

Question 4: Should any lateral branches form on those 3 main leaders the 1st/2nd year, should they be pruned off immediately that spring/summer, or winter pruned (and if they should be pruned, should they be headed off or cut to # bud)?

Think the 3rd year is when lateral branches are allowed to form for fruit...

Seems like 4 per branch is a good number.

Then most places say for pruning of the laterals:

"During the same year, right after fruiting, the year-old branches that bore fruit are removed.

Very small branches and misplaced or crowding branches are removed, leaving medium-sized branches that will bear fruit the next season.

This way, a plant is completely renewed (except the cordon) on an annual basis."

or

"In June, prune all laterals to 5 leaves of the current year's new growth.

and once the leader has reached the desired height, prune back to 5 leaves of the current year's new growth."

Last question 5 :) :

Dont quite understand how all the year old fruiting branches are removed, yet there are medium-sized branches left over to fruit next year (are these side laterals not considered fruiting branches?).

Are the year old branches, branches that formed on the laterals? and the laterals get pruned and push out fruiting branches each year (which would be a 4-tier structure if question #1's answer is yes it NEEDS to be pruned)?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to systematically tackle all the questions i have :),

-Ari

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz