SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fruitnut_gw

Starting melons early: my 1st planting is up

Over the past 30yr have probably tried early melons at least a dozen times. About equal attempts starting in pots indoors vs outdoors under clear poly. I have had better luck under poly; higher % success and earlier start.

Here's how I did it this yr starting Mar 1, 5-6wk before ave last frost date. Temp ranged from about 40-75F since Mar 1. Planted melons, watered, and covered with half inch of loose mulch to help hold water. Covered this with clear poly. Over that put a wire tunnel 24 by 18 by 12 inches high. Covered this with another layer of clear poly held down with soil. Put a soil thermometer under the poly at seeding depth. When the soil temperature hit 90F, about noon on a sunny day, I covered the whole thing with a heavy tarp. This stayed on until next morning when the soil temp was near 60F. Cantaloupe came up in 5d. Watermelons took 6-8d. As soon as the melons emerged, a hole was cut in the bottom layer of poly for the melons to grow thru and a 4x6 inch ventilation hole was cut in the top layer. Melons will stay under the poly until they are running in 4-6wk. Vent holes will be enlarged as it warms. All look very stocky, green and are growing rapidly now.

The primary advantage of the poly method in my mind is that the soil is warmed to near optimum levels at the time of planting. Transplants are usually set into cooler soil and are slow to root. Using the poly method, cantaloupe will come up in as little as 3d, watermelons 4d. This occured when I let the soil get much warmer than this yr. Have measured soil temp as warm as 120F under poly. So was more cautious this yr. Have never lost seeds or emerged plants to overheating under poly but it could happen if not properly vented. Drying of the soil prior to emergence is the other main concern.

Poly has worked well for me in sunny climates like CA and TX. In cloudy areas would not work as well. There is no easy way to start melons early but poly can add at least a month to your growing season if you need it or just like to push the limits like I do.

The Fruitnut

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor