SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rdback

Is Castor Oil completely safe to use in the garden?

rdback
14 years ago

I've got vole(s) eating my onions and garlic. It tunnels around until it finds a row, then just goes down the line, munching its' little azz off! Every morning 3 or 4 more plants are gone. It's already wiped out 15 row feet of onions in one bed. Now, its moved across the garden to another bed of onions and a bed of garlic!

Doing a little research, it sounds like castor oil is effective in driving these pests away.

I've found a castor oil based repellent (Dr. T's Mole Out @ Lowes). It's 10% castor oil mixed with 90% clay pelletized. Now, the label says safe for yards, flower beds, gardens, etc. but it doesn't say VEGETABLE gardens specifically. Paraphrasing, the directions say poke a hole in the tunnel every five feet and pour a tablespoon of the granules in. Then, cover the hole. Lastly, sprinkle over entire area and water in - lasts up to 60 days.

Have any of you folks tried this approach? Did it work? I guess I'm a little concerned about sprinkling this stuff over the whole row and/or garden, being these are vegetables I'm planning on eating myself lol.

I sure need to do something though, that's for sure.

Thoughts / opinions / ideas most welcomed.

Thanks

Rick

Comments (20)