SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
offgridnatureman

Buying Fruit trees - big or small?

offgridnatureman
15 years ago

Hi,

I am about to purchase some trees, (main apples, possibly sour cherry, apricot and plum) and am trying to decide on buying from several different local tree farms I have found, expensive, ($125 each), , 1 1/2" caliper trees....or, mail order (such as Starks) smaller trees in the $20 range.

I have gotten two different opinions so far - first is yes, go with the bigger trees, instant gratification...less wait till fruit.

Second, is go with mail order saplings, while the big trees sit there looking nice, they will be in transplant shock, and in a few years, saplings, or the big trees will be the same, and all will fruit the same....

More info - the local fruit trees, are in "root bags".....I'm at 8000 feet in the mountains, in a protected area with black rich river bottom soil. I need trees that bloom late, and fruit early, although on a map it calls me Zone 5 or 6,, I would say 4 is more like it....deep winter snows, 15 below occasionally.. short mountain summers. I have seen though, apples fruiting in the area, and tons of wild fruit, raspberries, strawberries, chokecherries...

Money is very tight with me, but if those big ole trees will indeed fruit much earlier than saplings, I might go that way....

Thank you in advance for any and all thoughts, and opinions!

AC

Comments (23)