SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caracara_gw

Some fruit tree questions (Zone 7)

caracara
14 years ago

Hi,

I've never grown fruit trees before. I live in SE PA (think I'm Zone 7[B]). I have a very tiny yard. I'd like to plant either dwarf (preferred) or semi-dwarf apple and peach trees.

I saw a few beautiful, in-flower peach trees at Home Depot the other day. Should I buy them now, and plant them, or can I put the pots, with the trees in them, in a sheltered place outdoors until I can plant them (I could keep them in my garage, but I'm afraid the blossoms will drop, & my cats will eat them--they eat any flower and plant!--and are the flowers poisonous?)? I shouldn't plant them this week, as we're having 2-5" of rain this weekend, and the ground is very, very wet now. (The reason for the haste in buying is that we have to rent a pick-up truck tomorrow in order to transport building materials, and I thought I could transport the trees, too--they are about 5-6ft tall.)

Are all peaches self-pollinating? Also, I assume the fruit develops after the flowers, so, if the trees are profusely flowering, can I expect a crop of fruit this summer? One tree offered is semi-dwarf; 1 is dwarf. They are about 5-6" tall, I'd say.

If I buy apple trees, can you tell me what types need to pollinate together? Thanks!!!

Comments (6)