SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mdchambe

First time pruner needs your help! Pictures included

mdchambe
11 years ago

Hello everyone,

The time has come for me to do the first pruning on my family's new orchard. There trees were all planted last spring as approximately 3/4 inch ~30 inch tall whips. These trees were all bought from Stark Bros. Sorry for the information overload request, I just want to try to make sure what I'm doing before i go chopping away!

Anyway, I've been trying to read on how I should prune these up. I'm planning to do central leader pruning on the apples (all semi dwarf) and pears (full size). Open center on the peaches (full size), and not sure on the plums and cherries (all dwarf).

After looking at some of these I thought I would snap some pictures and see if I can get some help/thoughts on how to prune these up.

Your help is greatly appreciated! Example pictures follow.

Golden Delicious (got a few like this) - nice leader, prune that big branch coming off right where the leader does? Some of the scaffold branches I would keep are very short, prune them back anyway? Lots of low branch growth, prune that all off, right?

Honeycrisp - seems like not very much growth. Easy to pick leader but low and short scaffold branches.

Stark Surecrop and Northstar cherries and Bubblegum Plum(dwarf varieties) - Very little growth it seems (they did leaf out nice, just didnt grow very much. Normal for dwarf varities to grow this little? Not sure at all how to prune!

Superior Plum - looks like it wants to be open center? Grew WAY more than my other 3 dwarf trees.

Intrepid Peach - Grew alot, reading that maybe I should have pruned last summer. If pruning to open center it looks like I would remove the top two branches and then use the next three big branches? Or no?

Reliance peach - Looks like it wants to be central leader. How to make this open center?

Moonglow Pear - scaffold branches look too high

Starking Delicious Pear - Nice leader. Scaffold branches look too low?

Comments (14)