SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sek518

Help for a first-time bonsai owner? (with pictures)

Hi! My mom gave me a juniper bonsai tree for Christmas because I have a few small plants already (here's a photo).

The trouble is, I've only ever had succulents and a lucky bamboo plant before, so a bonsai tree is quite a bit above my experience level. My mother knows practically nothing about plants and all I have for care advice is a short "Survival Guide for the First-Time Bonsai Owner" booklet, so I've decided to come here to set some things straight.

Firstly, the booklet mentions that junipers do better outside, but I have no outdoor space whatsoever (I live in a college dorm). Is there anything I should be aware of if I want to keep this tree alive indoors? I live in New England and get poor light in the winter, so I do have a lamp for my plants, but it isn't very large or tall so it hits the tree more from the side than the top. Is that an issue? Here's a photo of the setup:

Secondly, the booklet says that junipers and other evergreens should not be pruned with pruning shears and instead unwanted growth should be plucked, and that I should ask my dealer to show me how to do it. However, I don't have a dealer; I don't even know where my mom bought the tree. Is there some online resource that I can learn this method from? Or are pruning shears actually ok for junipers?

Thirdly, I'm not exactly sure how to tell what to prune. I know that new shoots in visually undesirable areas (the underside of the branch, the trunk line, the base of branches, straight up, etc.) should be pruned, but what about when a branch starts to get too long, or the new growth on a branch has leaves that aren't as compact as the rest? For example, I'm not sure if I should prune the ends of these branches or not, because they're longer than all the rest and the growth at the end isnt very compact:

Finally, does anyone have any recommendations for fertilizer? Also bonsai soil, for when I eventually need to repot the tree?

Thanks so much, I know this got kind of long but I'd like to give this tree the best chance I can.

Comments (10)

Sponsored