SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glenn_russell_gw

rhizome spreading blackberries

glenn_russell
14 years ago

Hi All-

I do quite a few posts about brambles, but there is one area which my knowledge is really lacking: rhizome-spreading blackberries. A couple questions:

1.) IÂm looking for the proper terminology regarding the two types of blackberries: "rhizome spreading" or "tip-root spreading". This distinction is important enough that I figure it would have a proper label, yet when I Google using those terms, I find very little. Is that the proper/best terminology?

2.) It seems to me like rhizome-spreading varieties always have an Indian (or am I supposed to say "native American"?) name Arapaho, Apache, Navaho, etc. Is this simply coincidence? Or is it an established convention? Looking at the table on page 2 here, it almost looks like the Indian named varieties are always "Erect". I always thought that "Erect", "Trailing", and "Semi-Trailing" just a characteristic of the canes. But, is it possible that all "Erect" varieties are "rhizome spreading"? And I should just refer to them as "Erect" which also always implies "Rhizome Spreading"?

3.) Normally I love tip-rooting blackberries for my yard because they donÂt creep, so I donÂt have to worry about containment. But, I may have a use for a rhizome spreading blackberry: In back of my yard there is a nasty patch of wild blackberries, bull briars, a little poison ivy, and a bit of everything else. We eat the wild blackberries, but bigger/tastier/more would be nice. This patch is very thick, so you really canÂt enter it. I donÂt want to clear this area (though a small area to get them started would be ok), but rather IÂm thinking of introducing some nice thornless rhizome spreading blackberries. I would not be giving them a trellis. IÂm hoping they could slowly take over the patch. If theyÂre anything like my ChesterÂs, TCÂs, or DoyleÂs, theyÂd likely soon be larger than the wild ones. With all that said, what is the best thornless rhizome spreading variety for this area? I probably wonÂt put them in this year unless I can find them at a local nursery, but I always make my best planting decisions when I have a good amount of time to think them over.

Thanks in advance,

-Glenn

Comments (16)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals