SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vickima

Why aren't my cabbages growing?

vickima
14 years ago

It's a bit embarrassing that I'm just now figuring out that the problems with some of my seedlings must lie in something other than the lousy New England weather so far this summer. I've been focused on the tomatoes, and thinking it was the weather that prevented them from growing. As you can see in the pics below, two of six plants are going to make it: New Girl and Cherokee. The others have hardly changed since I put them in the ground May 25 - not growing, not dying. Sun Gold, Opalka, Paul Robeson, Aunt Ginny's Purple.

But what about those cabbage seedlings? In the pic below they are the ones on the far end of the bed, planted May 25 (brussels sprouts seedlings planted 6/27). There is also a pic of the exact same cabbage variety last year on July 20.

I started all the seedlings myself, and they were all on the small side when I planted but they usually grow. I used cowpots for some of them this year, but that's the only difference (although I may have used a different seed starting mix). I amended the beds with 2-4 inches of good quality purchased compost. I was wondering if there was too much compost for the roots to establish? What's weird is that they aren't dying, they just aren't growing.

I'm planning to send in a soil sample, but thought I'd check here to see if anyone has any ideas on what the problem might be. I've been growing vegetables for 4-5 years and haven't seen anything like this before. The peas and lettuce and spinach have all done well this year. Cucumbers and squash have been slow but are starting to take off with the sun and warmth.

Thanks for any ideas you have.

{{gwi:85585}}
Tomato Beds

{{gwi:85586}}
Planted May 25, photo taken July 19

{{gwi:85587}}
Cabbage bed this year

{{gwi:85588}}
Cabbage 7/20/08

Comments (8)