SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cygnwulf

Ground Cherry - Empty husks

cygnwulf
12 years ago

Anyone ever had this problem with ground cherries? I just started to get a few ripe fruit the first part of last week and I was really excited. When I left town on Friday, I saw several more husks had turned mostly yellow, and was expecting them to be fully ripe and ready when I got back home yesterday. I went out and started checking around and found perfectly formed husks that were completely empty. Now, I could understand squirrels or birds or something getting a the fruit, but I don't think they'd leave the husks completely intact and untouched. The only opening in the husk was a small opening at the center bottom where it looks like it would naturally open up.

I'm a little disappointed by that, the few ripe fruit I've already tasted I enjoyed quite a bit, but I would like to know if anyone has any ideas what could have happened to the other fruit? the only thing I've seen was early one, some of the tiny black 'sugar ants' seemed to be frequenting the flowers, but I have such enormous fruit set on the plant I decided they must be helping with pollination and left them alone. Now, with it so hot and dry, they don't even seem to be frequent any more.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions