SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
estreya_gw

Took out three cherrys with ick - can i plant in the same hole?

estreya
14 years ago

Hello everyone, and happy Spring!

Some time ago, many of you addressed my concerns about a Tomcot apricot tree that was sickly and small. In spite of the consensus to replace my Charlie Brown Tomcot, i was determined to love it healthy. Advance time - you all were right, my efforts proved futile, and i just dug it out of the ground today for replacement. Lesson learned; If something isn't growing properly or is otherwise diseased, replace it without delay. Why waste precious growing time with something that's doomed to failure?

With this lesson in mind, i also pulled three cherry trees out of the ground; a Bing, Stella, and Lapin. These cherries were all afflicted in varying degrees with amber ick, and it was getting worse every year. Last year, whole limbs had to be removed because they were all wilty and dead looking. Two different local nurseries advised that my cherries could live for many years with what was presumably gummosis, but i'm honestly not interested in nurturing trees that are in a slow but constant state of decline. I've also determined cherry trees are rather a waste for me because the moment the cherries ripen, the birds pluck every last one. POOF! In one night - every last cherry is snatched.

Now to my questions: While the Tomcot and three cherries have been a disappointment, i've been supremely happy with two plum trees, a Shiro and a Satsuma. I would like to plant two more in the holes where two of the cherries were removed. In another hole, i think i want to try a pear, and perhaps another peach in the last hole where the Tomcot was. My questions are:

Do i need to be concerned about the holes being "contaminated" by the ick that was afflicting the cherries?

Other than compost, are there any other things i should be thinking about in terms of hole preparation?

Can i plant now, or should i let the holes stay empty for a while so nature can properly "season" them?

I'd really like to put replacement trees in the same spot, since all the fruit trees in that part of the field are arranged in rows.

You can kind of see the fruit trees at the top of this picture - the cherries and Tomcot were to the right.

{{gwi:75425}}

Thanks everyone!

Comments (5)