lorna_organic

researching herbs

lorna-organic
16 years ago

Some of the Web sites which are helpful in researching herbs are:

botanical.com

howstufworks

Wikipedia

Be sure to read through the the various sections offered regarding any herb you research. For instance, I wanted to refresh my memory, so I looked up horsetail this morning, aka shavegrass. Under the precautions category there was information that horsetail should not be taken by people who have high blood pressure, or by people who have kidney problems. It also mentioned that horsetail can make breast milk unpalatable to infants.

I was looking for information specifically about using horsetail to help drop foot. I found no mention of such usage, except for one brief reference to Culpepper*, which said that horsetail can mend sinew. Sinew means tendon. That was the info I was looking for.

I mean to use horsetail as a preventative with my aging German shepherd because she is beginning to show a tendency to drop one hind foot. Years ago I used horsetail to cure a case of drop foot in another elderly dog. However, I did not recall how much, or how often, I gave the herb to my dog, so I refreshed my memory with a little research.

Horsetail should not be given on a daily basis because of silica content. Silica is a component of sand. The gritty quality can cause irritation of the kidneys.

Howstuffworks has numerous categories, including a category on drugs. One can look up how specific drugs work. Wikipedia primarily provides botanical information in regard to herbs, rather than usage information.

*Culpepper was an acknowledged expert in the usage of herbs in days gone by.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions