SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greendesert_gw

quince tree looks like it might have a defficiency, any guesses?

greendesert
15 years ago

I planted a quince tree sometime in early Feb. It was bare root and I probably should have planted it earlier. The leaves came out and it blossomed nicely, but the top 20 or so inches of leaves on a couple branches just shriveled up and died. Then I noticed on some of the leaves that they have darker green veins and lighter green in between, it looks to me like some type of defficiency. Not all the leaves are like that. The soil here in AZ tends to be rather alkaline and usually iron or zinc tends to be the problem, but I can't tell what this is and of course it says I shouldn't fertilize the tree the first year. I noticed something similar on my baby orange tree I planted at the same time.

A couple of weeks ago I made a few buckets of compost tea and poured it at the base of the trees, it seems to have helped, but I don't know yet. Also I mixed some epsom salts this morning into a bucket of water and dumped that under the tree too. I hope that helps. Any educated guesses as to what kind of defficiency that might be?

it is possible that I may need to add some sulphur to the soil to acidify it although I haven't tested the ph.

here are some links to photos:

Affected leaf:

{{gwi:72906}}

"All the quince tree photos (closeups, whole tree, unaffected leaf, earlier dieback problem:"

I also noticed some brown stains on the flowers. what could that be?

Comments (2)