SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
veggiefaery

Trying to Be Adventerous

veggiefaery
14 years ago

To say that I am a picky eater would be a huge understatement according to my mom, husband, and mother-in-law. My mom (who is a nurse and studied a year to be a dietitian) went nuts trying to make sure I ate all my vegetables when I was growing up. My husband is always telling me to pick out restaurants to eat at since I'm the "picky one." My mother-in-law is forever pursing her lips at the dinner table because I skip over the food that doesn't agree with me.

The one thing that gave my mother a little peace when I was growing up was I would actually eat most of the vegetables grown in the garden she and her dad used to keep. In fact, it was after eating garden grown peas and beans that I discovered I actually did like those vegetables; and the canned stuff they served me at school lunch could hardly be called vegetables.

From a very young age I learned that if the vegetable came fresh from a garden, I was much more likely to like the vegetable. This year I have decided to plant vegetables I don't normally eat (or have found disgusting in the past) to see if I will find some new favorite vegetable. So far I have to admit my little experiment has been a failure. I tried Swiss chard and found it gross. I tried beets, and still find their smell nauseating, and their texture even more so.

I'm a bit bummed out. I am hoping I will like my squash and musk melon. Otherwise I am thinking of only growing the things I know I truly like. Am I being narrow-minded or is it okay just to grow only what I like in my garden?

Comments (10)