SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meredith_e

Orange fungus on native 'cedars'. Cedar-Quince rust? What to do?!

This is the first year I've seen a bright orange fungus starting on my native Virginia junipers, and it's now quickly in the gooey stage. There isn't much of it, and I keep these bushy and short, so no problem if I should just cut most of it out. I'd like to spray them if y'all can recommend an easily-gotten fungicide for evergreens. Those trees are for my birds and a bit of view-screening in the back yards, not stately things ;) The orange goo and earlier spots look like pictures of Cedar-Quince Rust.

But which of my fruit trees should I worry about, and what should I do?

About 300 feet away upwind, I grow: Pears, Figs, Peaches, Apricots, Cherries (Duke, Sweet, Carmine Jewel), Almond, Morus nigra, and will add plums this year. I also grow all sorts of cane berries, blueberries and strawberries.

No quinces or apples, but I was going to add Juneberry. I take it my pears at least need a program for it? Help!

(And if y'all know if my other related conifers may be in trouble from it, that would be great, too. I have a trio of 'Stove Pipe' junipers masquerading as Italian cypresses, and those would be a problem if they needed a lot of pruning-out of branches.) Thanks!

Comments (10)