SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
svenna_gw

Should I let the unhealthy plants die?

svenna
16 years ago

I live in a dorm with minimal light. I have ten small young plants. 5 are in a window potter and 5 are in temporary bowls until I get a second potter. However, I do not think that the potter is really big enough for all 5 plants. Due to the light issues, some of the plants are dying. I am wondering if maybe I should remove some of the dying plants so give the healthier plants more room. All of the plants in the bowls seem to be doing much better than the ones in the planter. They may be getting less light due to having part of them block from the light by the planter walls.

The plants, and their conditions. A P indicated it is in the planter, a B indicates it is in the bowl:

The cayennes seem to be doing well.

Cayenne 1(B): 1 flower, 5 buds, very healthy appearance, biggest

Cayenne 2(B): no flowers, no buds, healthy, slight leaf damage to two of the upper leaves

Cayenne 3(P): no flowers, 1 bud, thinner stem, 2 yellowed lower leaves

Cayenne 4(P): no flowers, no buds, 2 whitish lower leaves, grew at a 90* angle towards the top (the top is horizontal, not sure why)

The beans have not been doing well. Each plant came with 2 plants right next to one another, so I had to keep them together. It is actually 6 plants growing as three due to the tangled roots.

Bean 1(B): 7/5 tiny buds, a weird looking thing growing from the base (maybe another stem?) 4 dead leaves, 3 large healthy leaves, 6 small healthy leaves

Bean 2(B): 15/8 buds, 4 dead leaves, 6 green leaves which are mildly shrivled, 4 very small healthy leaves

Bean 3(P): 7/4 buds, unhealthy, all leaves are shrivled, most are yellow and crunchy, a few are green and wilted/shrivled

The red bell peppers are big but have some leaf damage. None have buds yet.

Bell 1(B): 4 big leaves, 5 small leaves, 1 yellow leaf at the bottom, one very tiny leaf. 3 of the big leaves have slight tears in them, 1 big leaf has a bunch of light brown dots on it, 2 of the smaller leaves are missing tiny little pieces.

Bell 2(P): 5 big leaves, 3 small leaves, 1 yellow leaf at the bottom, 1 very tiny leaf, 2 big leaves are a bit wrinkled at the edges which caused them to tear in those spots, the same also happened to one of the small leaves

Bell 3(P): 4 big leaves, 3 small leaves, 2 yellow leaves at the bottom, 1 very tiny dead leaf at the top, small tear on one of the big leaves where it meets the stem, wrinkle/tear issue with one of the smaller leaves

Of these plants, would it be wise to remove the less healthy ones? Would the healthy ones do better if they had more space? If I should get rid of some, which? Thanks so much! :)

Comments (5)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH