SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arborday101

Truth about persimmons

ArborDay101
11 years ago

I am a tree enthusiast, I have been planting trees since I was 8 years old with my dad and grandpa. The more I read, I am not that familiar with persimmons. I planted 5 trees 3 years ago and they are growing like crazy. I bought American persimmons and they were 12-18 inches tall when I got them and in the last 3 years they are 10-13 feet tall but have not shown signs of blossoms and such? Is this normal? I am prunning the trees upwards to avoid damage from deer when they start to spread out. I planted another 8 last year and they grew 6 inches to 2 feet in one year (different areas planted). I just bought 6 more FUYU persimmons, which I'm right on the border of where they say they should be planted but I'll try them.

Here are my questions:
1.) what fertilizer should I use? as of now I'm just giving them the same rate of Miracle Grow that I would for Tomatoes
2.) Why aren't they blooming at all? am I being to anxious?
3.) Will all persimmons bear fruit? some say yes, some no?
4.) If I graft trees that are male will they bear fruit? or do you need male trees to pollinate the female's?
5.) some sites say American persimmon's will self pollinate with bee activity? is this true? Male or female
6.) since I planted different varieties will they cross pollinate?

Thanks ahead for all the incite, pleae don't beat me up too bad for the stupid questions.
NF

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida