SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fruitnut_gw

Improving Fl King and Fl Supreme pluot?

While going over Dave Wilson taste test results and reflecting on my experience, the thought struck me that the best of the first generation pluots may be as good as it gets for pluot eating quality in my lifetime. Flavor King and Flavor Supreme were obviously well thought of by the Zaigers as evidenced by their names. Taste test results still have them at the top of the heap. My experince bears out that of others although I never had many Flavor King I'd consider great. In my greenhouse they usually have an off flavor. Last yr I had a few grown in pots that I thought were worthy of regal status. My problem with Flavor Supreme is not quality but getting them to set. Bumblebeees in my greenhouse only visit the flowers by mistake. But the first yr here they were in pots and pollinated by honeybees outside just before being planted inside the greenhouse. There was a big set on Fl Supreme. My best set by far the last two yrs has been on potted trees inside the gh where the limbs are small and in close proximity to other varieties.

So I'm thinking these varieties are worth another try. My plan is to grow them in pots and take them outside for pollination by honeybees. I'll have nine trees in 15 gal pots and a total of about 18 varieties of plums and pluots. Six trees are already producing, three are just planted.

My favorite pluots to my taste as grown in my greenhouse are Fl Supreme, Fl Grenade, Fl Queen, Geo Pride, Emerald Drop, Fl Treat, and Splash. I also have Fl Finale but this will be the first yr of fruit. Flavor Treat has also been hard to set, so Treat, King, and Supreme will represent the biggest part of the nine trees in pots.

Flavor Grenade sets huge crops every yr. Flavor Queen has always set an adequate crop. Geo Pride, Emerald Drop, Splash, and Flavor Finale, what I consider 2nd generation pluots, have set good crops so far and haven't cracked or had other problems. None of my pluots have cracked the last two yrs since I've been on a fairly even drip watering system.

Any ideas or comments will be greatly appreciated.

The Fruitnut

Comments (27)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner