SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missemerald

Strawberry Questions from a Determined Mommy

missemerald
13 years ago

Hi All,

I have questions (a situation?) that I hope someone can help me with regarding my strawberries. Two years ago, I ordered a "Strawberry Patio Kit" that came with a tower and 25 Everbearing Eversweet strawberries from Stark Bros. Rec'd the plants, planted according to directions, and planted the extra into pots. The ones in the tower died, the others did okay (although only a few berries). I called Stark, they said "that shouldn't have happened" and sent me a whole new kit last year for spring planting. Same thing happened, only the plants did not produce anything, one more call to Stark. This time, the customer rep said that I should have gotten only plants as replacements, not the planter as well, and they would sent me 25 more plants to replace last years plants. Haven't gotten the plants yet, but that's okay, Stark has been great throughout all of this. But given what has happened so far, this spring I am going to put the plants in the ground and use the planters for petunias or something. So, what is the best way to prepare a bed for the Eversweets? Is any particular brand of fertilizer recommended for them? I've seen info on red plastic mulch-- does that do any good? Any advice would be great. The bed I have in mind is near the veggie garden and gets a lot of sun and I have a pretty hungry strawberry loving family here. I would love some help getting this set up properly. I'm in zone 7, Northern VA. Thanks!!!

Comments (3)