SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alabamanicole

Sudden wilt in artichokes

alabamanicole
16 years ago

Several of my artichokes have suddenly "melted." Others in the area are unaffected and other plants in the area are thriving. Water does not revive the wilted chokes.

Searching online seems to indicate that Pythium affects seedlings (these have 12" leaves now) and Verticillium affects adult plants. Since mine are in a juvenile stage I guess it could be either or some other fungal disease, but it seems odd given how dry it has been to have a fungal problem.

I don't seem to be able to find anything which fights this that is do-able in a permanent setting -- fumigating the soil, for example, isn't feasible! Are there any management tips to fight it back, or do I just let whatever survives live there and avoid planting anything else in the area?

Perhaps related to this -- about 50 feet away I planted 3 highbush cranberries. 2 were almost completely wilted within days, but I chalked it up to transplant stress or me not watering enough when I planted them. Water has helped them revive, but the leaves have a "burnt edges" characteristic that I keep seeing in photos of affected plants.

Comments (9)