SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
avajay_gw

A bad time to start Suger Snap Peas?

avajay
14 years ago

A couple of months ago, I constructed a teepee from some small trees (8 ft or so) stripped of any branches, as well as some pruned branches. It's pretty ugly, but transplanted some snap peas into the areas by the bases of the trees, thinking that they'd climb and bush out, hiding the frame. Most died, and the ones that didn't aren't growing and/or don't want to hold the wood, no matter how much I coax. I'm trying to germinate some more sugarsnaps now, but thinking that maybe a faster, more heat-loving vine would be a good replacement to hide my eyesore (I've got some zuccini/squash seeds, and some cuckes), and plant the sugarsnaps in a trellised container that can be moved in and out of a shady spot as needed. I rigged a cane & twine trellis in a 5-gal bucket a few days ago and transplanted some sweet peas that my grandson started while playing in my moist starter mix. In the hot sun (90 + degrees) they looked like they needed some help, so I put the bucket in a spot under a very large tree, now the only direct sunlight is in late afternoon.

Could someone tell me the best way to baby those peas already in that container, and if I really have to wait until late summer/early fall to get my sugarsnaps? Will my sweet peas take stronger sun in a week or so? I've never grown any kind of pea before, but I recall hearing that it's not a heat-resistant veggie.

Joyce

Comments (2)