SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
garedneck_gw

fertilizer? 10-10-10, 12-12-12, 12-10-10, 45-0-0

garedneck
11 years ago

Do you really need specific fertilizers for our fruit trees and bushes or will a general 10-10-10 suffice? A recent starkbros catalog has "tree pep" fertilizer 22-24-12, orchard fertilizer 45-0-0, blueberry fertilizer 12-12-12 and blackberry fertilizer 12-10-10... The first number is Nitrogen then phosphorus and potassium ... Can't i just use 10-10-10 and the plants will use what they need?

Is it better to put down pelleted fertilizer which feeds (breaks down) over time or use a liquid fertilizer (maybe dissolve the pelleted fertilizer in water first) on the soil?

Is there any benefit to spraying the fertilizer on the leaves instead of applying to the ground?

I had my soil tested and the parameters were slightly below "great" and that is why i thought a 10-10-10 will make the soil "great" and then whatever plants are there will grow as well as they ever could?

Any other considerations including the obvious of adding organics like manure or chips which add to soil nutrients over time? So shouldn't i just mulch or compost any of my pruned wood for recycling?

Comments (17)