SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tcstoehr

My ZipLoc apple bagging results.

15 years ago

I would say my results were mixed. I suppose I did get rid of the dreaded Codling Moth. But that problem was replaced by earwigs. Each plastic bag became a very popular earwig hotel. Virtually every apple had a compacted mass of earwig filth packed into the depression around the stem. I really don't mind that so much but that mess did cause problems as you can see in this picture:

{{gwi:62385}}

What the above picture does not show is the internal rot that was also happening.

Additionally, there was a sizeable early windfall of apples dropping. Often with rotten spots like this:

{{gwi:62386}}

I never had problems like this before plastic bagging or using footies. The latter seemed to also attract earwigs and promote rot, although to a much lesser extent. The footies, however, didn't stop the Coddling Moth.

All in all, with the Ziploc bagging, I had considerably fewer edible apples, but I also had no Codling Moth. An equitable trade I would think.

But I hope to do better.

Did anybody else have this sort of problem with your Ziploc apple bagging? How did yours go?

Comments (26)