SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reg_pnw7

What about Cane Berries?

reg_pnw7
17 years ago

I want to plant some new cane berries. I already have what is probably a Heritage raspberry, everbearing, with the fall crop in September. I particularly would like some blackberries that would complement the ripening order of the raspberries and that don't get absolutely huge (unlike marionberries which I love). Something on the smaller side, and either very early ripening or late season, or a complementary raspberry.

When do different berry cultivars ripen, and how big are they? Thorniness is ok, I grow roses after all. I saw something at a nursery called Sylvanberry - a cross of logan and marion, anyone know anything more about it? I also saw a Kiwi Gold raspberry in the Territorial catalog. Sounds interesting but I hesitate to buy 5 plants when the 2 Heritage produce more than I can eat already. Anyone have experience with that one? I could find homes for some of the 5 if it's really worthwhile.

I probably want an upright blackberry as opposed to a trailer, due to space concerns. I don't care about productivity as it's just me here. Extended ripening is a bonus too. I do have some of the wild dewberries around, Rubus ursinus, which are the best berry in the world in my opinion, but the squirrels rats and racoons seem to get them all.

Comments (3)