SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
miketrees

Watch out for strange birds

miketrees
17 years ago

After years of growing fruit on my outer metropolitan property, this year I have decided I can no longer grow fruit because of bird damage.

The problem is caused by Rainbow Lorikeets

http://www.agric.wa.gov.au/pls/portal30/docs/folder/ikmp/pw/vp/bird/fn008_2002.pdf

Many years ago when this bird first escaped into our city nobody bothered to control it, in fact many city dwellers thought it was a wonderful native bird.

In time the numbers have built up and now they are moving out of the city into rural and national parks.

I did not give in without a fight I shot hundreds and hundreds of these birds, just when I thought I had controlled them another couple of hundred turned up.

They start feeding at first light they can fly in any time of the day and they feed until late. I just could not physically keep up with the shooting.

Of course the suburban people living near by complained , even tho I was only using an air rifle.

The fact is this bird is not native to this side of the country and it has outcompeted the native species for nesting sites.

So we have a farming disaster and an ecological disaster.

I have to tell you it really hurts to give up growing fruit.

Netting is pretty much out of the question, netting would not save the native bush from this monster.

So my point to you good people is

Watch out for invading species.

The numbers of lorikeets are so high now that the government will not take eradication measures .

I guess its just not bird species you have to worry about its any invasive species.

So learn what is meant to be living around your area, and report anything strange, (just hope someone listens)

Comment (1)