SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardengalrn

Are ducks just that stupid or just these guys?

gardengalrn
15 years ago

I've mentioned here before that I rescued 5 baby ducks in the fall. They never did bond with us, matter of fact, they were PETRIFIED of us. I don't know their breed but a mallard type and as they got older, I suspect that they were all drakes. Just this past week they decided they didn't care for their home and pen and flew out each and every day. We would get them back in for the night and all was well. Yesterday we noted that while they would fly out of the pen, they had no idea of how to fly back into it to get food/water. So, we took down the fence, which was obviously not containing them anyway. Hours later and one duck was missing. That night, I found several ducks at one end of the pasture and several at the other end. Just sitting there. When I tried to get them moving towards their home/food/water, they took off flying. An eagle would have been envious of these guys, let me tell ya. So I ended up washing my hands of them. Today, no ducks in sight. I do know that better caging and wing care would have prevented this but I am curious as to the intelligence of these creatures? My chickens aren't lap pets but they know I feed them and are not scared like that. Anyone have a good duck experience? Lori

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County