SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bart1_gw

The Latest Thinking on Kiwi and Blueberry Spacing?

16 years ago

What's the latest, "modern" thinking on the spacing of Kiwi vines and Blueberry bushes? I ask for two reasons, 1) it seems that a lot of the things I read in books is directly contradicted by you folks who are actually doing it in your back yards, and 2) some of the spacing requirements I've read are all over the map. For Kiwi, I seen spacings from 8 feet to 15 feet!

So my question for Kiwi spacing is, if I have 5 plants (1 male, and 4 females) how should I space them? I assume the male should be in the middle with 2 varities on either side, but I was thinking the spacing between the male and the 2 adjacent plants could be closer than the rest. Is that correct?

Could I space the females 8 feet apart and stick the male between the 2 middle plants (4 feet from each), or is this too close?

My next question is on Blueberries.... I have a 20 foot bed that I'm working on and I'll only have room for 1 row of plants. How many blueberry bushes can I cram into this bed? Some of the spacing requirements I've seen have been 4 to 6 feet apart - this seems huge to me!

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Bart

Comments (5)